Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Three Questions from a Newbie  (Read 2905 times)

DrowElfMorwen

Three Questions from a Newbie
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am very new to Universe Sandbox, and though I love astronomy, I'm really new to it. I'd appeciate if I could just get a few questions answered before I go home tonight to play a little more with this.

I just have three main questions...

... what exactly is a time step? I'm not sure I understand how it works other than I can speed it up...

... and I wish to create my own solar system, complete with asteroids. Is it possible to predetermine their paths?

... How can I tell if a planet is in the habitable zone relative to my star? Can I create a red giant that a habitable planet can orbit?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Three Questions from a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »
universe sandbox calculates how objects are attracted by gravity or other forces. however, since it can't calculate at every instant of time, the positions and velocities of the objects, calculations are done once a timestep. the lower the timestep, the more frequently the calculations are done and the more accurate they are. the higher the timesteps, the less frequently and less accurate.

it is sometimes possible to predetermine objects paths using the projected paths tool, or if you want a basic orbit you can use the orbit controls to fine tune your orbit into the precise shape you want it.

also there is a habitable zone checkbox you can check which will create a green sphere shaped zone around a star, showing the habitable zone. this might not be exactly accurate though.

DrowElfMorwen

Re: Three Questions from a Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
Whank you! ^o^ I can't wait to get home to play more on this ^^