Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox 2 - Screenshots of variable Earth ocean levels - February 2013  (Read 58607 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Here's an early look at a new feature Georg and Naomi have been working on over the last few weeks.

There's still lots to do to make this behave as one might expect, but this work merges the ability to use existing textures with Georg's earlier work on procedural planets with variable ocean levels.

There's still some problems to solve... and there's still much work to do on other aspects of the simulation, but I was anxious to share this with all of you.

Naomi has recently joined the team. She's consulting on atmosphere and climate simulations and is providing insight into these very complex systems and how they can be modeled in a real time, interactive way.

Georg is our graphics programmer and keeps making everything look amazing.

Universe Sandbox 3 is a full rewrite of the original Universe Sandbox with tons of new features and improvements. We expect to release Universe Sandbox 2 as a new game for both Windows and Mac in 2013 .
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:49:11 PM by Dan Dixon »

Darvince

• 差不多
Oh my sweet Jesus this is amazing.

Will this have a detrimental effect on performance?

JayPix2012

Holy crap! :o Dead Earth here I come. 8) Dan you are the man. Unlimited coolness dude.  :D ;D

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
ZOMG MY GOD!
Hm, the water level will have influence in climate?

tuto99

• Baba Booey
Here's an early look at a new feature Georg and Naomi have been working on over the last few weeks.

There's still lots to do to make this behave as one might expect, but this work merges the ability to use existing textures with Georg's earlier work on procedural planets with variable ocean levels.

There's still some problems to solve... and there's still much work to do on other aspects of the simulation, but I was anxious to share this with all of you.

Naomi is a recent addition to the team. She's consulting on atmosphere and climate simulations and is providing insight into these very complex systems and how they can be modeled in a real time, interactive way.

Georg is our graphics programmer and keeps making everything look amazing.

Wow, this is great!  :o
Great job on the new feature Georg and Naomi. You guys rock. :D

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
:O WOW!    8)

will there be more water effects? it looks ... kind of bland right now, and with the moon and tides and etc.

applause for Georg and Naomi!! cool EPIC  8) keep it up!!
will there be settings you can change for the water levels and will it actually react to heat and will this happen to other planets and does it morph as it gets closer to black holes and and..
* bong rants on

unl0cker

Looks awesome indeed Dan. Give my congrats to Georg and Naomi. Georg has done an amazing job, and is good to have Naomi there to brainstorm with him.

About your anxiety... your anxiety to show us is minuscule compared to ours to put our hands on it. :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:08:47 AM by unl0cker »

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '99602'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:06:01 AM by FiahOwl »

Georg

• Development Team
Glad you like it. The goal for planets is to be as dynamic as possible, with adjustable water, ice and vegetation that responds to changes in the simulation. Still lots of work to be done there, but it's progressing nicely, so stay tuned for more updates as we move along :)

unl0cker

A question, are you guys planing to simulate the pyroclastic clouds/shock waves that follows impacts/eruptions?

Chaotic Cow

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
I am loving it. Dan, you and your team is doing great work. Please keep being amazing.

Georg

• Development Team
A question, are you guys planing to simulate the pyroclastic clouds/shock waves that follows impacts/eruptions?

We pretty much want to simulate almost anything! Tech for shockwaves is already in, although it still needs tweaking.

That said, we're constantly making decisions about how to prioritize features based on how important they are for the application as a whole. Things that create lots of scientific and / or visual value tend to go first, features with less impact come after that. Development time is a factor too.

Usually creating one feature rapidly leads to follow-up tasks that come naturally as an extension of the latest development, and then there's you guys coming up with suggestions... the universe seems to be an "all you can eat" festival of things to simulate ;)

unl0cker

hahaha Indeed Georg! You guys pick a hella of thing to simulate. "John simulates planes, Greg simulates boats, Carmack simulates bullets, Giant Army simulates EVERYTHING from EVERYWHERE!" :P

Oh by the way, I have this cool idea... hehe j/k! :D

Keep up the awesome work man! We are really really exited about this release, probably as much as you guys!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:58:58 AM by unl0cker »

tuto99

• Baba Booey
A question to Giant Army.
Will we be able to export textures from planets, ecspecially on the way they look. (e.g. Exporting the texture of the flooded Earth.)

unl0cker

That tuto, would be PRICELESS!

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
cute

Georg

• Development Team
Will we be able to export textures from planets, ecspecially on the way they look. (e.g. Exporting the texture of the flooded Earth.)

Hmmm, technically possible. What use for them do you have in mind?

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
will there be lighting, volcano's,  Auroras, and weather etc...... and possibly ships  oh yes thanks for making shush a grate software !!? :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:09:02 PM by Kevin1994 »

tuto99

• Baba Booey

Hmmm, technically possible. What use for them do you have in mind?
I could probably use the textures in Ubox 2, or share textures with another online community of people who might want this sort of thing.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
will there be lighting, volcano's,  Auroras, and weather etc...... !!? :D
What type of lighting, city lights? Probably, because I remember seeing city lights in the Doomsday video Dan posted.
Volcanoes? Maybe visual effects, not actual rendering of one.
Auroras? Maybe. Sounds like a definite feature for the new release.
Weather? I remember seeing this question some time ago. If Dan ever decides to add weather to Ubox 3, that would be awesome. But I'm not saying this is a guaranteed feature.

TrueCoppa

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
These look amazing!
Good to see development still going strong :)

Kevin1994

will there be lighting, volcano's,  Auroras, and weather etc...... !!? :D
What type of lighting, city lights? Probably, because I remember seeing city lights in the Doomsday video Dan posted.
Weather? I remember seeing this question some time ago. If Dan ever decides to add weather to Ubox 3, that would be awesome. But I'm not saying this is a guaranteed feature.
No I mean lighting and thunder lol xD. and sounds

DarkGnom

Wow, amazing  :)
Give us the thing  ;D

tuto99

• Baba Booey
will there be lighting, volcano's,  Auroras, and weather etc...... !!? :D
No I mean lighting and thunder lol xD. and sounds
Lightning* and thunder. Yes, there will probably be those effects in the final release.
And yes, there will be sound.

Kevin1994

Cool! :o

Kevin1994

how about planet formation?

Steelcurtain994

• Onward to the Edge
US3 will be Mac compatible correct? The screenshots look fantastic I can't wait for it to be released!

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
Yes it will be compatible with Mac.

See here:
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,6235.0.html

tuto99

• Baba Booey
Yes
I recommend you watch the Unite 2012 presentation video of Ubox 3. It will probably answer some of your questions.

Kevin1994

Yes
I recommend you watch the Unite 2012 presentation video of Ubox 3. It will probably answer some of your questions.
Ok then