Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's going on with ubox 3?  (Read 5572 times)

TrueCoppa

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
What's going on with ubox 3?
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »
As the title suggests, this thread is asking if there's any more news on ubox 3. The last news we heard about it was in December, and it's now February. Just asking about the general status of it (a changelog would be really interesting to see)

(Sorry if this post comes off as rude or whatever, it is not my intention if so.)

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
Re: What's going on with ubox 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »
(Sorry if this post comes off as rude or whatever, it is not my intention if so.)

It is.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:06:46 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:49:02 PM by phinehas »

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
TrueCoppa,

I have never seen a developer on their forum posting, even about stuff he shouldn't be posting about, from a commerical perspective, as much as Dan.  Assuming isn't normally a safe bet but in this case, Dan not posting about U3 means there isn't any update he can or should discuss at this point in time.

Agreed.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:39:23 AM »
Development is going well... in fact we've added a new part-time member to the team who's consulting on climate and atmospheric simulations.

And we've finally got the internal database of objects (planets, moons, galaxies) working and Eric, our astronomer, has been building up its contents.

We've also been working on merging our new procedural planet system with texture based planets which will allow for some really cool demonstrations on the surfaces of planets.

I'll share some screenshots once we're a little further along and are sure that we'll be shipping our latest experiments. I don't want to promise a feature that we ultimately decide isn't going to work...

JayPix2012

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »
Development is going well... in fact we've added a new part-time member to the team who's consulting on climate and atmospheric simulations.

And we've finally got the internal database of objects (planets, moons, galaxies) working and Eric, our astronomer, has been building up its contents.

We've also been working on merging our new procedural planet system with texture based planets which will allow for some really cool demonstrations on the surfaces of planets.

I'll share some screenshots once we're a little further along and are sure that we'll be shipping our latest experiments. I don't want to promise a feature that we ultimately decide isn't going to work...

What do you mean by internal database of objects and atmospheric simulations or do you want us to wait for the screenshots and explain it then?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
The database of objects is similar to how it worked in v2, but this is a 'true' database (SQLite) and instead of having to load all the objects into memory (which is how v2 worked) we can now support a much larger list of bodies (potentially 100,000+ vs 5000). Eventually you'll also be able to put together queries like the nearest 'x' objects to us, or the largest 'x' objects.

And the atmosphere stuff is very complicated and early in development... I'll wait for the screenshot to reveal what Naomi & Georg have been working on.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »
The database of objects is similar to how it worked in v2, but this is a 'true' database (SQLite) and instead of having to load all the objects into memory (which is how v2 worked) we can now support a much larger list of bodies (potentially 100,000+ vs 5000). Eventually you'll also be able to put together queries like the nearest 'x' objects to us, or the largest 'x' objects.

And the atmosphere stuff is very complicated and early in development... I'll wait for the screenshot to reveal what Naomi & Georg have been working on.
That's sweet. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

TrueCoppa

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »

Thanks! Good to see it's still all going well

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:32:13 PM by phinehas »