Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will we ever visit other stars?  (Read 16314 times)

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
Will we ever visit other stars?
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
Re: Will we ever visit other stars?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
actually, i'm hoping we could invent fusion engines that work in the next 100 years, build a star-ship, and send it off to alpha centari. i've read about ideas in quite a few magazines

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
protip: warp is possibru

Tass

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »

No its not. Overhyped research notwithstanding.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
yes it is, it just involves about 10^20kg of traditional fuel

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »
ever heard of magazines? yeah the articles are interesting.

but it would still take decades with fusion engines, so... idk. you'd have to have many generations during the trip to survive, and it get's all complicated and yeah.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:47:50 PM by phinehas »

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:41:44 AM »
Then your missing out.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
He lost me at Dong.
It's a show on Vsauce 2.
It's pretty awesome, you should check it out. :)

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:47:41 PM by phinehas »

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:36:25 AM »
I was joking.  I watched most of it and I stopped once it became redundant.
::)

unl0cker

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »
When? Probably never!

I think travelling using regular  newton's third law of motion is simply not practical, even for distances inside the solar system. Unless we come up with some space bending way to travel, it only will happen in dreams.

I saw once a nice theory about a supposedly alien engine that could contract the space immediately in from of the craft, and expand the space immediately behind, making space move around the "stationary" craft. Similar to Universe Sandbox, as we
the 1st person watcher are always still, and what moves is the whole scenario.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:49:30 PM by phinehas »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
according to national geographic, we could make fusion engines that could do the trips within a few decades, and since it would probably take over a life time, we would have many generations. (but our live expectancy is growing quickly, so idk). but, there's always the problem of MONEY.

unl0cker

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »
Agreed.

But science itself apart, think about. The universe is made of energy, energy is THE most abundant thing everywhere. I can't stop thinking we know nothing about nothing specially about energy, or how to use it efficiently.

We did not even scratch the surface of this subject. Imagine what would be the response of Newton if you ask him how we could go to the moon.  It turns out is totally doable. Same can be apply to this. We simply don't know enough to do it.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:27:40 PM »
We did not even scratch the surface of many subjects, and we may not even know of many more subjects, or should I say secrets, hidden within the universe... Or maybe even...out side... the universe.

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:47:22 PM by phinehas »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 04:07:48 AM »
eating saturn is pretty supernatural too lets try that first

Tass

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »
yes it is, it just involves about 10^20kg of traditional fuel

If by "traditional fuel" you mean negative mass, yes.

Then comes the problem that the inside of the warp bubble is causally disconnected from the outside and there is therefore no way to start of stop it even if the travel itself is technically possible.

I saw once a nice theory about a supposedly alien engine that could contract the space immediately in from of the craft, and expand the space immediately behind, making space move around the "stationary" craft. Similar to Universe Sandbox, as we

That is the Alcubierre drive or "warp drive". Don't get your hopes up though. It is most likely impossible.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:11:34 AM by Tass »

karakris

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
E.E. 'Doc' Smith had the perfect Answer.

We cannot travel Faster than Light - bacause Mass increases the Faster we Travel.

AT the Speed of Light - Mass is Infinite ( effectively ).
This is because the INERTIA ( and Gravity ) Effect of Mass is increased, the faster we travel.

However - IF we could CANCEL the Effects of Inertia of the Mass ( this would also cancel the effects of Gravity of the Mass ) - then Einstein's Laws would not be broken if the Object ( effectively Zero Mass ) accelerates up to the Speed of Light , or even many times the Speed of Light.

The limiting factor on Speed then become literally the Friction of he "medium" of space - Gases, Dust, Dark Matter, etc.

However - the Object inside a Inetria Cancelling Field is effectively outside of "real space".  To any Travellers inside the FTL Ship - it all seems normal, except that you CANNOT see where you are going.
For them, there IS Inertia and Mass Attraction ( Gravity ) inside the Field - but the "space ship" is outside of "normal space" so it will not be affected by Gravity or Masses outside.

Navigation - well, you simply point the Ship in the direction you want to go, towards a Large Mass like a Star - and switch on the Inertialess Field, and then your Frive System.
Any small Masses along your route will generally be deflected by the Inertialess Field, or disntegraed if they are very small - but this cannot work on a Large Mass like a Star or a Gas Giant.

When approaching the Star or Gas Giant - your FTL Drive will effectively "drop out", bringing the Space Ship back to "Normal Space".

This is a Gross Simplification - of a Technology which I have looked into at some depth.
However - do not ask me HOW it Works - I do not know.

For the purposes of my Stories and my Game - I can work within the Advantages and Disadvantages, the Limitations, of such an Inertialess System, and a Very Fast FTL Drive.

I do not need to Explain how it will work - but some time in the Future, I KNOW it will be able to work.     

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
can you give me the source?

karakris

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
There is no source.

E.E. 'Doc' Smith never explained it - he said it was "discovered" by Bergenholm.
But Bergenholm was really one of the truly ancient alien Arisians ( in disguise ), Aliens who predate the creation of the Universe.

This FTL Drive is at the "core" of the Sci Fi Game - on an other Site.

It was very loosely postulated by a Member called Dashy - but since I have taken over running the Game, I have made it more internally consistent, and perhaps a bit more scientific.

This is the LESS SIMPLE Technology -
The Krallin Generators ( Inertialess Field ) were discovered in the late 2120's.
Krallin Generators can work on a Planet like Earth - but they are limited by the external Gravity Force, so will not  work on Jupiter or the Sun ).
A Krallin Fireld makes everything inside it Inertialess - not in "normal space".. 

The Danstall or FTL Frive was discovered in 2130.
Mankind could finally reach the Stars.  The Rest is "History" - as it is now 2138.

The Danstall or FTL Drive cannot work in a "gravity well" above a certain value - effectively it cannot be used near to the Orbit of Mars, but must be used outside of this.
FTL Ships will be "droped out" of the FTL propulsion, when the get too close to a massive object - Jupiter, Sol, etc.

Danstall FTL Drives can work in Quantum 1 form - 100,000 times the Speed of Light.
Improved Danstall FTL Drives can  work in Quantum 2 form - 1,000,000 times the speed of Light.
The "Alien" Z Drive can work in Quantum 3 form - 10,000,000 times the Speed of Light.

The Z Drive can only be used as a one-way Drive, using special processed "cores" - spare Cores cannot be carried, as they will cause a massive "Quantum Implosion" when the Z-Drive is engaged.

In our Alternate Timeline - we now have fully controllable Wormholes - but you have to put Wormhole Generators ( usually Generator Ships ) at both ends or "Gateways".

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
but where are you getting all this informatoin?

karakris

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »
From the "Krissyverse"

No - Honestly.

This is from the Sci Fi Game - for which I am the Game Master / Moderator.

That means - allowing for the fact that is has begun in 2130, and it is now 2138 - It is all from inside my Head.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
can i play

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »
can i play
Anyone can =D
Its very cool..

karakris

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »
can i play

There are still several Vacant Positions -

This is the Background Threads -

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132399

It starts off the "History" of the Game, which started in January 2130 ( Real LIfe - February 2011 ), but it has been moving along.  It is now July 2138 in the Game.

I have a lot more of the "Game History" to ADD to the Background Thread - after Editting it from actual Posts.

There are around 12 Threads to this Game so far, and there may be more.

The Positions or Roles are listed in the second Post - however two Positions have been taken.

Hellpotatoe is now the "President" of The N.E.A.P. - and Hellpotatoe is also the Leader of The Chembrimai People.

You will have to Register on the Armchair Generals Site in order to play -
But this as easy as joining this Site - E-Mail Address, select you Player Name ( whatever you want ) and select a Password.     

clockworks

• Connor
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 05:50:34 AM »
When? Probably never!

I think travelling using regular  newton's third law of motion is simply not practical, even for distances inside the solar system. Unless we come up with some space bending way to travel, it only will happen in dreams.

Yep I think the engine is called the alcubierre drive (something like that) and it pulls space towards it

unl0cker

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »

No its not. Overhyped research notwithstanding.

Like with most tech, things start from ideas. It is possible to expand/contract space, which is basically what the warp does. Contract space in front, expand space behind, bypassing any newtonian effects these speeds might have inside the ship.

Possible, but not for a race that watch bigbrother...

Anthropoid

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
Lots of bright folks discussed this issue over at the Kerbal Space forums in this thread: Maximum Velocity Currently Attainable? The Future?