Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Visible Gravity  (Read 6621 times)

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
Visible Gravity
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »
I think it would be neat to show gravity. It would be interesting to do this in 3d where a flat plane slopes downword to show the intensity of the gravity.
An up-down view could also be interesting if interpreted as colors.

I do realize that the 2d/3d grid does this as well, but I just thought these were easier to interpret.
Thanks.

APODman

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
    • Astronomic Picture of the Day - Brazil
Re: Visible Gravity
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:38:19 AM »
One brazilian friend made a gravity simulator that shows the gravitational field:

- http://fabio.c.barros.googlepages.com/gravitysimulator

( He discontinued the development of the software. )

I agree that this feature ( show the gravitational field ) is a nice thing. It can be implemented in Universe Sandbox ?

[ ]´s

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
Wow, that looks really nice. Too bad he's discontinued it, looks like it could go pretty far.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
APODman:
That's very cool. I haven't seen that program before. Cheers to your friend.

It's totally possible to add that to Universe Sandbox. It's just a mater of throwing a day or two at it. Adding a straight forward gravity visualization has been on my list of things to do.

Like HallowedError said you can kind-of do this with the grid feature. Check out the activity Gravity Flower for instructions.

HallowedError:
What do you mean by an up-down view interpreted as colors?

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 11:10:24 PM »
Haha, now that I really think about it I'm not sure that the 'up-down' view I was think about would work correctly unless all the bodies were on the same 2D plane.
If you were only looking at one body though, you could select it click a button and everything but that body goes away and you can zoom in and out to see how far and how much it's gravity effects stuff. You might need a reference for scale after so far though. You could use a rainbow like effect and something like a dark purple would be the least effect and farthest out, while red was closest and had the most effect. Somebody else might have a better way to implement this than colors though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:13:46 PM by HallowedError »

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »
A 2D only mode would be easy and would make a 2D grid like the image on this site work appropriately:
http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/dark_energy/de-did_einstein_predict.php

It that what you meant by up-down view?

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
More or less yeah. Hope to see it soon.