Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AddFilesAssociation Crash  (Read 5205 times)

lyron

AddFilesAssociation Crash
« on: December 22, 2012, 06:34:35 AM »
For the beggining, I'm french so apologie my bad english. I'll do my best ^_^

I've buy the game on STEAM, the download and install are ok, but when I want to lunch the game I have an error box : "AddFilesAssociation a cessé de fonctioné" (vf), ADDFILESASSOCIATION Crash.

I've updated my .net frameword / Direct X / Nvidia pilote. I've reboot PC and STEAM, I've uninstall the game and install again. And nothing !

I've delete the game from steam and donwload from here directly and with this, the install doesn't work corectly. I've again an error box but the message isn't the same, this time it's: "UpdateFix a cessé de fonctionné" (vf). So it's updatefix who has crash...

I really want to play this game but now, I really don't know what I have to do !!

Thanks for all.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: AddFilesAssociation Crash
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Can you try just running the "Universe Sandbox.exe" out of the folder it's install in?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\universe sandbox

The other issue might be that you're not an administrator on that machine?

Or .NET 2 is somehow corrupt and not installing correctly.

Let me know if any of that works or doesn't...

And I'm sorry I don't know French... :)

lyron

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
I've try all what you say and nothing -_-'

I've join my DXDIAG.TXT If you want to check someone !

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
ADDFILESASSOCIATION.exe is a pure .NET 2 application. So if it's not working you've almost certainly got a problem with your .NET installation as this app doesn't use DirectX (where Universe Sandbox.exe uses both).

unl0cker

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »
There are a few things you might want to try to fix the dotnet.

To start, I'm assuming you have Windoze Vista, s2k8 or 7. If that's not the case (XP,2k,98,95,3.1), do not follow this, let us know and we'll go from there.

So, if you have one of those systems, your system ALREADY has dotnet2.0 build in. So what you need is a repair of the included dotnet framework. Try the following:

1) Click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator, click Continue to authorize the administrative privileges escalation.

2) Type: sfc /scannow

The cmd prompt should list text stating "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time." Wait for the scan to complete. This will scan all protected system files and replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. The SFC tool will indicate whether or not it found any problems and whether or not it was able to fix them.

You should now go ahead and run US. If works, hey great! If doesn't and you want to explore the log file for the command you just issued check this article.

Also to try a fix for the dotnet2 you may run:

"%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update"

*Note the v2.0.50727 directory. It might be different on your system. Go look for the proper name if it is.

You might also want to see if there is a problem with your file association setup, as that, like anything else on windows can and will happen. This might happen because you deliberately unregistered a dll or some program you've installed overwritten or unregistered system resources. So to workaround the automatic file association problem you can create the association manually.

To do that create a text file (.txt) on your desktop and rename the extension of this file to .ubox. If the icon of the file does not change it means your extensions are hidden (the default). Then try using MSDOS to change it:

Start > Run > CMD

And type:

cd Desktop
move file.txt file.ubox

Now you have a universal sandbox file. Right click it choose "Open with" > "Choose default program" and browse the the universe sandbox executable.

Additionally you can go radical mode on (I don't recommend) and forcibly remove the dotnet2 using this tool, and re-install it again.

Again, I did not try this, it might break things even further, plus I like a good troubleshooting, it's like sport to me. :P

See if this helps.

Good Luck mate.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:10:32 PM by unl0cker »