Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox Beta Release Plan  (Read 69768 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Universe Sandbox Beta Release Plan
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
The New Universe Sandbox Beta will not be released this year (2012). I’m sorry that everything is taking longer than I expected, but it’s just not ready yet.

So when will the beta be available?
In taking a page out of Valve’s book, the beta will be released when it’s ready (and it’s not ready yet). I’m going to stop announcing release dates that I’m not 100% certain we can’t hit.

Why isn’t the beta done yet?
In short, I’m an optimist and making awesome software takes longer than I wish it would. The beta isn’t ready yet because we’ve been developing a procedural planet system, completely rethinking the object database, adding dark matter halos to galaxies, and making collisions as awesome as they would actually be. Turns out doing stuff that no one has ever done before is hard and takes a long time.

How do I get into the beta?
We’ll be announcing details of the beta program once we have a firm beta release date. That said... we’re considering something akin to how Introversion Software handled their alpha release of Prison Architect.

If I get the beta will I get the final release?
Yes.

I’m worried I won’t be able to get the beta.
Don’t be. I know what it’s like to be anticipating the release of something I want more than anything else. If you’re checking the forums everyday looking for the beta announcement and you don’t or are unable to get in, send me an email (not a forum PM) explaining your situation and we’ll work something out (but not until we announce a release date).

Moved and merged beta related posts from the upgrade thread

Let’s keep all the beta questions confined here please.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:53:41 PM by Dan Dixon »

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
Re: Upgrades & Updates: The Future of Universe Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
No worries... it's safe to assume the price of v3 will be reasonable and not $70.

Those that get into the beta will be upgraded to the final version of v3, so it will not be open to everyone for free. The specific release plan for the beta will be announced at a later time.
I'll be looking for this :)

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »
No worries... it's safe to assume the price of v3 will be reasonable and not $70.

Those that get into the beta will be upgraded to the final version of v3, so it will not be open to everyone for free. The specific release plan for the beta will be announced at a later time.
Close Beta? I think that's kind for unfair for those who want to play the beta like me. I have been waiting for this for a long time D:

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 05:22:54 AM »

Close Beta? I think that's kind for unfair for those who want to play the beta like me. I have been waiting for this for a long time D:

I'm sure you'll be able to play the beta Kevin :)

Also Dan, I am perfectly fine with paying for the game, I understand :D.

Unreal2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:40:23 AM »

Just remember that being in a Beta does not mean all fun and games early, you have to work to improve the game and not just play it cause your in early.  You have to report bugs, if the game crashes you have to make it crash again, you have to document what goes wrong, what you did and why you did it, bring your system to its knees (if you can) to see how stable the game runs at max settings or min settings, its all about ironing out bugs and improving the product.  Just wanting the Beta just so you can use the program earlier than everyone doesnt help improve it and may actually hinder progress.  Keep this in mind whenever you sign up for Alphas or Betas of games and programs, be ready to work, be ready to get bored trying to crash the program, be ready to get bored chasing driver issues e.t.c.  Just my opinion and I hope some others share it.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
Just remember that being in a Beta does not mean all fun and games early, you have to work to improve the game and not just play it cause your in early.  You have to report bugs, if the game crashes you have to make it crash again, you have to document what goes wrong, what you did and why you did it, bring your system to its knees (if you can) to see how stable the game runs at max settings or min settings, its all about ironing out bugs and improving the product.  Just wanting the Beta just so you can use the program earlier than everyone doesnt help improve it and may actually hinder progress.  Keep this in mind whenever you sign up for Alphas or Betas of games and programs, be ready to work, be ready to get bored trying to crash the program, be ready to get bored chasing driver issues e.t.c.  Just my opinion and I hope some others share it.
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/board,5.0.html I don't see very much of that there...

jman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
I have been waiting for this for a long time D:
Me too I want in on the beta D:

TrueCoppa

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »

This guy speaks the truth. I've signed countless NDA forms for beta testing various games, and it isn't as fun as people make it out to be. You aren't there just to get early access to the game - You are there to purposefully break the game in any way you can to make it better. Sure, you do get to play the newer versions before other people, but in beta testing very little of the testing is actually playing, most of it is just hunting for bugs.

smjjames

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
@Steroidkloud: Maybe you can ask about different payment options?

This guy speaks the truth. I've signed countless NDA forms for beta testing various games, and it isn't as fun as people make it out to be. You aren't there just to get early access to the game - You are there to purposefully break the game in any way you can to make it better. Sure, you do get to play the newer versions before other people, but in beta testing very little of the testing is actually playing, most of it is just hunting for bugs.

Sometimes playing around with things IS how you hunt for bugs.

I've never done a beta test for a game before, so I don't know how to 'hunt' for bugs besides running into them while doing stuff. Everybody probably has a different approach to hunting for bugs anyway.

TrueCoppa

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
   I'm fine with this. However, a bit disappointed that I won't come home and find the update having arrived.
Is there anyway for current owners to get a discount so not to completely change what was promised, the reason I say this is that many here are either not old enough to have a job or earn money to pay for a full price game.

However, I do completely understand why you changed the conditions given your current situation regarding the expense of the game development. I would be fine paying for this update, glad even so that more great work could come from your development team. For as much use as I have gotten out of the game so far, I would be fine paying for many more hours on a superior version of the game with so many new features.
You paid for US2, what could stop you paying for US3 (assuming they're around the same price)

Dan, so - the beta won't be free, if I understand you correctly. I look forward to seeing how you're going to go about doing this. I assume you'll apply, and if you're accepted you pay however much it is and then you become a beta tester as well as receiving the US3 final version when it comes out?

tuto99

• Baba Booey
Re: Universe Sandbox 3 Beta Release Plan
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »
I'm new to this beta thing with games and whatnot, so I was wondering if you are supposed to do something when  you have the beta? Like report bugs? And how will the beta be distributed to participants?
One more question: What is the maximum amount of people that can participate in the beta?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:41:56 PM by tuto99 »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:34:54 PM »
I'm new to this beta thing with games and whatnot, so I was wondering if you are supposed to do something when  you have the beta? Like report bugs?

We hope you'll take the time to share your thoughts with us and report any bugs that you find. We'll be setting up a way to report bugs and share feedback (probably from within the simulation itself).

And how will the beta be distributed to participants?

The beta will likely be distributed via Steam.

smjjames

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 04:54:17 AM »
I'm new to this beta thing with games and whatnot, so I was wondering if you are supposed to do something when  you have the beta? Like report bugs?

We hope you'll take the time to share your thoughts with us and report any bugs that you find. We'll be setting up a way to report bugs and share feedback (probably from within the simulation itself).

There is also a channel that has been set up (not active right now though, obviously) on the irc for use when the beta comes around.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »
There is also a channel that has been set up (not active right now though, obviously) on the irc for use when the beta comes around.
What channel?

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
It's called #whenhasbeta

smjjames

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »
It's called #whenhasbeta

lol

Anyways, Bong made it a couple of days ago called ##Universesandbox3Discuss. I set it up to open at startup since I don't know how to bookmark a channel on Chatzilla.

luis lauro

• Alpha Tester
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
i hope i can get into the beta, btw, im gona save money from now so i can buy it when is released

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
It'd be awesome if I could get into the beta, it'd be even awesomer if all our forum community get in!

Unreal2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »
It'd be awesome if I could get into the beta, it'd be even awesomer if all our forum community get in!

I don't think that would be a good idea, for a Beta test you want people that want to do more than just "play".  You want people that will report back issues, test the program and such like I mentioned before, just because you have more Beta testers doesn't mean you have better ones.  I do NOT intend to offend anyone in this community with this reply so don't think that, I just know there are some out there that just want to get the Beta to "play" the "game" early and nothing more.

My .02

Warp92

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »

Does that mean those without a steam version can't get into beta?

smjjames

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »

Does that mean those without a steam version can't get into beta?

That's a good question actually.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
I don't think you need the Steam version of Universe Sandbox to be able to participate in the beta. If you don't have Steam, just download it.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
I don't think you need the Steam version of Universe Sandbox to be able to participate in the beta. If you don't have Steam, just download it.

Correct. You will need a Steam account, but those are free.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »
from what you said it sounds like you will have to pay to get into the beta, but you will also get the full version at no additional charge if you do. if this is the case, i wondering if beta users which are getting the beta of steam will get a standalone version of universe sandbox 3 full release if they prefer that to a steam version?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
Good question.

Given the logistics of how this will be handled, I'm not sure yet.

clockworks

• Connor
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 01:35:26 PM »
great. i'll make a steam just incase

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »

Correct. You will need a Steam account, but those are free.
Unless they have to buy a second copy of Universe sandbox

rockyplanet11

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »
I made a Steam Account (but im new to both Universe Sandbox and Steam) and was wondering if I would be able to get in to beta. Will I be able to?

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
I made a Steam Account (but im new to both Universe Sandbox and Steam) and was wondering if I would be able to get in to beta. Will I be able to?
Yes, there's a chance you might be able to participate.

jman

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
I have steam but no universe sandbox for steam will I need the steam version to participate?