Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox - Multiplayer  (Read 13103 times)

witold

• Sorry for my bad english (if he is)
Universe Sandbox - Multiplayer
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:24 AM »
How you think about Universe Sandbox as a multiplayer simulator

it will be fun:

-more ideas(because you will work in group)
-Faster system creating.

qwew80

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Re: Universe Sandbox - Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »
That would be a good idea, except you'd need a good internet connection, and I don't see and activities people in US could do.

HOWEVER....., if soneone creates a game I have an idea for (hint,hint), which is like an earth simulator where you do everything from create the earth to customize the genetic structure of different genes. There could be expansion packs, of course, to put in the more advanced features, but it would be awesome if this could connect to universe sandbox (hint, hint).

witold

• Sorry for my bad english (if he is)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
more suggests???

Magnetar

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:38:56 AM »
That would be a good idea, except you'd need a good internet connection, and I don't see and activities people in US could do.

HOWEVER....., if soneone creates a game I have an idea for (hint,hint), which is like an earth simulator where you do everything from create the earth to customize the genetic structure of different genes. There could be expansion packs, of course, to put in the more advanced features, but it would be awesome if this could connect to universe sandbox (hint, hint).

Are you really expecting people to have ultra super computers at home in order to simulate the development of self-replicating molecules under dynamic chemical influences? :\

How you think about Universe Sandbox as a multiplayer simulator

it will be fun:

-more ideas(because you will work in group)
-Faster system creating.

I think the actual problem will be the simulation aspect. One computer will have to be the server and will have to simulate the entire environment. At the same time, at least one client will have to receive the position, velocity and other data from this simulation. But if you would run the same simulation online RT on two differrent computers it's very likely that a desynchronization occurs. In conclusion I think a multiplayer mode could be an interesting idea for US to think of for further versions, but speaking of short time solutions I think for now some very simple stuff could already increase the interaction inside the community. For example a "System Portal" in which users could showcase their systems could already mean an increase of user-user interaction. A lot of software products can expand their lifespan significantly when a good structure for community interaction is given.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:56:15 AM by Magnetar »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 01:45:42 AM »
They don't need ultra super computers. In fact, all that's required is patience. If you have a slower computer, it'll just take a longer time to simulate. I have Darwinbots, which simulates evolution. It takes a long time, but since you can fully save the simulation, I just start it sometimes while I'm on the internet etc.