Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox 2 alpha/beta release is delayed  (Read 19689 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Universe Sandbox 2 alpha/beta release is delayed
« on: October 01, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »
I will not be releasing an alpha version of Universe Sandbox today. I’m very sorry that I have failed to come through on this promise. I know that many of you were very excited about using the new version today.

Why are you not releasing an alpha version today?
My current project at my current job has gone late. When I originally promised an alpha release date of October 1st I had expected to be complete with this job in mid September. I had expected to have had several weeks of preparation for the alpha release. I am very sorry for not letting everyone know sooner.

When will you release an alpha version?
I will no longer be announcing specific dates for release until I am 99% positive that these dates will be hit. When the alpha/beta version is released it will not be publicly available. If you are interested in becoming a tester please fill out this application form:
http://www.survs.com/survey/NYZ5WNX9DH

What’s the new release date for Universe Sandbox 2?
Given that current production schedule for Universe Sandbox has been delayed because of another project I’m afraid this will also push the release date of version 2. The new release date for version 2 is early 2010.

Are you ever going to release a new version of Universe Sandbox?
I know it may seem like it’s never going to happen but I assure you that this delay is nothing to be concerned about (regarding an eventual release). In just a few weeks I will be leaving my current job so that I can work on Universe Sandbox full time. I am committed to releasing a new version of Universe Sandbox as soon as possible.

Tell me some good news.
A good friend of mine has approached me about joining forces to take Universe Sandbox to the next level. I will continue to design and develop the product. He will head up marketing, sales, and business development. While we’re still working out the details of the relationship, I am more optimistic about the future of Universe Sandbox than ever.

What features have you been working on lately?
•   Finalizing plans for the new file format.
•   Integrating a faster, internal text browser.
•   Experimenting with table based planet position lookups.
•   Mouse based planet position, rotation, and velocity tools.
•   Making the time step control easier to use and more obvious.
•   Selectable, mathematically calculated points in 3D space (like the Lagrange points).
•   How to make creating a solar system as easy and intuitive as possible.

In conclusion:
Again, I’m very sorry for making promises that I was unable to keep. I know that many of you are disappointed (and I’m disappointed too). I promise to work really hard over the next few months to make Universe Sandbox 2 something really special. I’m committed to making astronomy software that opens up a new world for people. I appreciate your patience.

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: Universe Sandbox 2 alpha/beta release is delayed
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
Dang.. atleast I can wait patiently.  :)

By the way, did you complete that "Tree Relation" I suggested for you?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
Filled it out.

But:  :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'(

HallowedError

• The inquisitive mind
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »
Very neat. This hopefully means that the new version will be amazing!

SuperNova

• ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »
i filled it out
but.....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I CAN"T WAIT UNTIL 2010!!!
I......i......i....i....i was so exited for today.....i waited from the beginning........maybe...next time

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 10:43:01 PM »
No problem, the longer we wait, the better it will be. Good to hear the good news. :)

bessy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
yer im not to bothered about it taking abit of time way i look at it its going to have less problems as theres more tinkering time

thats 1 reason y i always download pc games from torrent websites to test them before i go out and buy them as it wouldn't be the first time iv payed for a game and its uncompletable cough cough X3 cough NFS Drift sorry did i say them out loud lol!!!  i tell ya these big companys pay millions for programmers to build these games and they start selling them before they are completed hell i thought there was trading standard laws against shop sold items especially pc stuff as you cannot return them if they dont work

here we have dan makes this program by himself in his spare time and ive never had a crash lockup or blue screen from his app

i tell ya dan never make dead lines as thats why we have loads of errors and crashing

id rather have it done slow and properly like a work of art than a fast a shody

rottweiler07

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
I would love to test but I really don't like filling in real name and place where I live. Same goes for other personal info.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:12:06 PM »
...I really don't like filling in real name and place where I live. Same goes for other personal info.

I promise not to misuse or publicly distribute any of the information. This information will only be used to determine the general demographics of those signing up.

galrath1

• Twinkle, twinkle little star.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
Awww i waited a long time for this... well well i filled it out... hope you choose me  :)

I love the program ;D i use it everyday... ::)
Hmm... ???

Well it is a good thing that it is delayed... the longer we wait, the better result...

or... ???

FGFG

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »
Signed up ;)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »
Interesting. Might sign up in a week, where my new computer is finally estimated to be finished and arrive. :)
Is it time requiring btw? I might have time, but I might also get stressed. :P Perhaps. :P If it's very time requiring. US is very funny, so it's ok if it's very time requiring. :P
But my homework still has to be done first. :/

qwew80

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »
I signed up the other day! ;D

By the way Dan, what are the requirments for becoming a beta tester? That, and when will you choose who beta tests?

pagalzone

• Dark Energy, quarks & laptons make up everything!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »
Not at all bothered DAN. Take your time to satisfy yourself for a Beta version. Developing a bug proof software is time consuming job. Best wishes to entire USB team for 2.0

hbmp88

• Please visit to help! http://ucallyptis.myminicity
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »
ughhhhhh im so tired of waiting but im split with decision of waiting the full time and getting something amazing or getting nothing at all. to new people on the forum ill just let you know by the time it comes out (if it does, im pretty sure it will) it will have been a whole year of waiting.

please dont respond to this this is my last post for a while im really busy in this special business program at school and have no free time at all. im sorry i cant post as much as before :'( and i really want this to turn out great. good luck Dan.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 12:13:20 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your support.

Some exciting things have been happening as I've shared my vision for Universe Sandbox with friends and those around me.

And no worries... Version 2 is going to happen.