Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does anyone know of any animation programs?  (Read 2539 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Does anyone know of any animation programs?
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:39:38 AM »
I need something that I can overlay moving text onto either a series of images or a .wmv, much like with After Effects so that you can just make a trail of points and the text will follow it, are there any free things like that? I am trying to take West Pacific images and have text follow the storms throughout the season.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: Does anyone know of any animation programs?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »
PowerPoint isn't free but (you may still have it) it seems ok for making some animations. Like all those text animations your teachers told you not to make when making presentations in the lower classes. :P

As far as I can see it even has an option to save your file in .wmv format.

If you don't have it you could explore the Open Office alternative.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Yeah um. I really don't think that would work at all. You see I have about 2000 images which I need a text thingy to follow how would that even work with a powerpoint? I need the file to save at the same dimensions... actually I don't even know what dimensions but I would prefer to kind of paste the images in and have them all as "frames" and then have the text follow the storms (this is over several hundred frames) and then be able to export this to a video file, or if I must, I can import the file as a .wmv and put the text over that, but I must be able to save it and have the text run with the video. I doubt my explanation helped at all, maybe I could show an example?

2010 Atlantic Hurricane Season Satellite Review

(go to like 2:20)

basically like that. If anyone here has ever used After Effects I would really like an interface like that so that I can set several points for the text to go on in keyframes so that the speed can change and the direction can change.

My images are like those attached:

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
Maybe you could make it a video first without the text, put it into PowerPoint, and then make the text on top of it in there. It can display videos.
Idk what resolution PowerPoint exports in or if you can change that, maybe you could resize the slide to the size of your resolution and capture that with some screencasting software or whatever it's called. Or send me the PowerPoint then I'll try.
Otherwise Idk.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »
I'd rather not use screening stuff, considering I don't have anything.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
not sure what screening stuff you mean, but i would use videomach to convert series of images to a wmv and then use windows movie pooper to add text.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
I know WMM can add text. Clearly you don't understand that I want moving text. And not just moving text, but text that follows the storm on a custom path I create. I would prefer if I could put points and set the time it takes to move from one point to another independently (much like would be done with setting keyframes and stuff in AfterEffects)