Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Video demonstration of the new Universe Sandbox  (Read 132288 times)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Video demonstration of Universe Sandbox 3
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
lol i think he's saying it censored in china

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »
I don't think it's funny, I think it's unfortunate.

Google Translate:
http://translate.google.com/#auto/en/%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E4%BA%BA%E7%9C%8B%E4%B8%8D%E4%BA%86

"The Chinese people can not see"

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
odd, cause i'm Chinese and i can see (mostly Chinese)

killerbryan

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
Is Beta 3 out? If Not When will it be? If It is,Then i didnt get it  :o

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Is Beta 3 out? If Not When will it be? If It is,Then i didnt get it  :o
It's not out yet. And Dan already said that he's not making any promises to when it will come out.
Just wait.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,8358.0.html

"Let’s keep all the beta questions confined here please." -Dan Dixon

Mathias

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 04:06:57 AM »
This is awesome, i can't wait. I bought this game for Christmas. I haven't learned much about it but i will now.

Camacha

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but I have some technical questions. Is version 3 going to be able to make full use of modern day computing capabilities like multiple cores/multithreading - and a more recent development, GPU/hardware acceleration? I guess the latter could be a great help in simulation masses of particles and objects in a 'cheap' way, but it seems most developers do not know how to implement such a thing or are hesitant to. If I understand the technical implications correctly, this kind of technology could be a real game changer.

What is your stance on those subjects?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
version 3 will use multiple cores
version 3 will also group distant objects together as a single mass in order to speed calculations
also version 3 will allow different objects to have different time steps

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »
Is version 3 going to be able to make full use of modern day computing capabilities like multiple cores/multithreading - and a more recent development, GPU/hardware acceleration?

Yes. Universe Sandbox 3 will support multiple processor cores. We're investigating GPU support, but no promises yet.

Camacha

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »
version 3 will use multiple cores
version 3 will also group distant objects together as a single mass in order to speed calculations
also version 3 will allow different objects to have different time steps
That sounds very promising indeed. Not only using more raw power, but also using it more efficiently.

Is grouping distant object a speed vs. accuracy trade-off, or is it actually helping both?

Is version 3 going to be able to make full use of modern day computing capabilities like multiple cores/multithreading - and a more recent development, GPU/hardware acceleration?

Yes. Universe Sandbox 3 will support multiple processor cores. We're investigating GPU support, but no promises yet.
It being considered is all one could ask. I'm really glad to hear that, since a lot of developers shy away from it beforehand.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »
Is grouping distant object a speed vs. accuracy trade-off, or is it actually helping both?

as long as all the bodies grouped fit inside a sphere that excludes the object being attracted, i think the accuracy should not be affected. and speed will be improved because only one the center of mass needs to be calculated.

JAW1002

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 05:24:50 PM »
This update is something I have always wanted to find in a game. I have always wanted to see a solar systems and worlds form on their own with optional influence. I purchased version 1 a few years ago, then 2 on steam both enjoyable but very limited and not what I was looking for. Version 3, from what I have seen is exactly what I have always wanted.

One question to put my mind to rest. How is the development of the (collapsing cloud into a solar system) feature coming along? I have seen what you developers have done already and I'm inspired and sure that you will make the feature perfect.

I have only discovered the development of version 3 a few hours ago, has occupied my mind since so I'm very excited and when the time comes will be willing to pay more then I ever had for a game. This game is what the world needs.

Jupiter

• King of the planets
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2013, 04:53:45 PM »
will the black hole get a accretion desk from a star?

Sirius18933

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2013, 01:37:02 AM »
Maybe collision of asteroid and rocky planet are confirmed, but how about Rocky planet collision with another rocky planet?
And how about Gas giant collision with Asteroid...
and Gas giant with gas giant... (how about Neptune collision with uranus? that should be confusing)
and how about collision of planet or asteroid with a star?  ::)

Hypernova

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »
(In reply to Sirius18933)

You're thinking small, no offense. But everything you stated will most certainly be in the game. What you should be very interested and excited for are collisions such as: two stars colliding, two black holes colliding, two neutron stars colliding, and a mixture of all those e.x. star v.s. black hole, or neutron star. These types of collisions happen all the time in the Universe, so they should definitely be in a Universe Sandbox Simulator.

I really really REALLY (did I mention really?) hope the team does well on these types of collisions. Especially neutron stars! These stars are fascinating, seriously. (Very interested to see what happens when a neutron star collides with the sun, although, it is so dense and small, I am led to believe it would simply pass straight through, while leaving a trail behind of the gas and plasma from the star) I also expect to see some type of warping of large planetary bodies such as stars when near dense bodies. e.x. a star passing close to a black hole should warp and the gas/plasma mixture should be pulled off of the star, forming an accretion disk around the dense body whether it be a white dwarf or black hole or anything. Also, type 1a supernovae will be included.. I hope? yes? maybe?

It is a universe sandbox simulator and not technically a game, so my hopes are high. If anything, I would at least like the team to continue working on  improvements (like adding hypernovae with GRBs, right Dan? You know you want to.. I know at least Eric wants to ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:43:57 PM by Hypernova »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »
You may be disappointed with the initial release in 2014... but your expectations are my goals too.

The plan is to release and continue to improve the collisions into the future. Assuming the sequel is as successful as the first one... we'll have the resources to make improvements for a long time.

Jupiter

• King of the planets
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »
(In reply to Sirius18933)

You're thinking small, no offense. But everything you stated will most certainly be in the game. What you should be very interested and excited for are collisions such as: two stars colliding, two black holes colliding, two neutron stars colliding, and a mixture of all those e.x. star v.s. black hole, or neutron star. These types of collisions happen all the time in the Universe, so they should definitely be in a Universe Sandbox Simulator.

I really really REALLY (did I mention really?) hope the team does well on these types of collisions. Especially neutron stars! These stars are fascinating, seriously. (Very interested to see what happens when a neutron star collides with the sun, although, it is so dense and small, I am led to believe it would simply pass straight through, while leaving a trail behind of the gas and plasma from the star) I also expect to see some type of warping of large planetary bodies such as stars when near dense bodies. e.x. a star passing close to a black hole should warp and the gas/plasma mixture should be pulled off of the star, forming an accretion disk around the dense body whether it be a white dwarf or black hole or anything. Also, type 1a supernovae will be included.. I hope? yes? maybe?

It is a universe sandbox simulator and not technically a game, so my hopes are high. If anything, I would at least like the team to continue working on  improvements (like adding hypernovae with GRBs, right Dan? You know you want to.. I know at least Eric wants to ;)
i think neutron star colliding into a star would look like this

but more pulling

and when it hits the pulling part would look like a very steep volcano

wierdness101

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »
This post dead?

dechireur77

• Alpha Testers :) (I'm French)(and Serbian)March<3
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
can't we Consider an output in January or February?? a quick exit after New Years ... :)

Catscr

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2013, 04:23:11 AM »
This post dead?

I'm starting to think this whole site is dead.

Unreal2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2013, 05:33:22 AM »
I'm starting to think this whole site is dead.

Why do you say that?   There are lots of updates going on and conversations.

Jupiter

• King of the planets
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
no 'thank you'?? for that explanation of a neutron star colliding into star?

MiniMeatwad

Re: Video demonstration of the new Universe Sandbox
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
Won't load the video.

Jupiter

• King of the planets
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZD1R54r3Tc

I Hope I can see this in us3 went two planets are about to collide :D
there goes the water :/

ShoeUnited

• Non opus est, si pretium non habetis.
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
Hey Dan. :D

I know I'm late to the party, but the video seems to be down.  Could you provide us with a new link?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
Thanks for letting us know it was down. Here's the new link:
Unite 2012 - Creating the Universe with Unity

(and updated in the original post)