Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Timed Impact Idea  (Read 22116 times)

Chaotic Cow

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
Re: Timed Impact Idea
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »
Like I said before. It can be Dynamic like projected paths. Changing based on whats in it's path.

FGFG

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Re: Timed Impact Idea
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »
You said you need the interacitions with all the bodies...

Got an idea!

This require I think from tens to thousends MB (so even GB) of RAM memory (I don't believe that the normal one is suitable):

Start the simulation: nothing appear. Data are stored. After some time (set by the user), maybe 10 years, maybe 1 year (obviously of the simulation), maybe dipending on the time step, the stored data are converted in images. The result? A simulation that runs with data of the future really accurate. The problem is the performance that this buffering sucks: data must be stored, which can take A LOT of RAM, especially in big systems, and then reloaded and calculated (the coordinates of every object must be stored frame by frame. For a ten-object simulation, which is really small, there are 30 numbers with lots of decimal digits every frame). I think that it could be optimized for dual/quad cores (with a dedicated core the RAM occupied will be smaller).

Moreover if you sacrifice your knowledge of the future you can make the simulation with auto time step more "linear" using the buffer.

Pros: A future more accurate
          - Projected paths way more accurate
          - Collisions predictable for sure within some seconds/minutes (according to your CPU/will)

- Auto Time step more fluid (scarifying your knowledge of the future).

Cons: Performance needs increasing exponentially with the number of objects.

EDIT: It also permit to move the simulation forward or backward maybe with a time bar. E.g:

-3          -2          -1           0            1            2           3
|----------|----------|----------|-O-------|----------|----------|