Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Supernovas  (Read 7083 times)

qwew80

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Supernovas
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
Hey, are there supernovas in the simulator? Surely, such awesome powers of destruction should be included into this simulation! Also, what about Gamma Ray Bursts (GRP's)?

P.S. A star is threatening to go supernove and point a Gamma Ray Burst strait towards Earth. This massiveforce of energy and radiation, even if origination from 8 thousand light years away, would eliminate our apmosphere.

P.S.S. What about anti-matter? Oh, and don't forget theoretical objects such as white holes, tacheyons (faster-than-light particles) and worm holes. this is a sandbox after all
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:57:18 PM by qwew80 »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Supernovas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »
Good ideas, but as this is made by one person. It is [probably] hard to do.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
Hey, are there supernovas in the simulator? ... Also, what about Gamma Ray Bursts (GRP's)?

There's a simulation that shows the approximate location of Gamma Ray Bursts from last year, but they don't actually 'Burst'.

After version 2 is released (in December) I'm planning to focus on making explosions and impacts more realistic and visually impressive. Adding exploding supernovas and Gamma Ray Bursts will probably be included in this work.

P.S.S. What about anti-matter? Oh, and don't forget theoretical objects such as white holes, tacheyons (faster-than-light particles) and worm holes. this is a sandbox after all

I hadn't though of anti-matter and worm holes (adding fictional, non-realistic, but fun stuff). Some of that might be easy to add for version 2. Either way I've added this ideas to my list.

hbmp88

• Please visit to help! http://ucallyptis.myminicity
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
In short US objects are not active until effected by gravity or when they gain mass. The only thing that changes in an object is its becoming a star when there is enough mass. However this isn't very graphical. Hopefully adding graphical effects will bring more popularity to US as it often does in many other games/simulations (such as the sims).

Magnetar

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:26:13 AM »
I think we shouldn't overrate visuals. Universe Sandbox is not Celestia and I think it will never be intended to be so. I think what people will be  addicted to in the first place is a simple sandbox mode offering a high level of world manipulation. The Powder Game, Phun and Garry's Mod are all so popular because they do so. Visuals are more or less just cosmetic features which however have the power to gain the attention of people who are simply pleased by watching stuff happening on their screen. The main target group of solar system builders however might not pay attention to them or even turn them off in order to gain more performance. I also think with growing numbers of custom solar systems we'll also need a new subforum.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 06:35:49 AM by Magnetar »

qwew80

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »
I don't want to base this game on visuals. Although i do like visuals, I am an astronemer and want to make this a very complete game, which, in my opinion, means that we should create scenarios that would be impossible to view otherwise.

P.S. Anti-matter does exist. Scientists have created very small amounts of it. One grahm of anti-matter colliding with one grahm of matter creates 100% pure energy, and is 100 times more powerfull than the most powerful nuclear weapon created so far.

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:34 AM »
and is 100 times more powerfull than the most powerful nuclear weapon created so far.
Wow...

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »
The e=mc^2-equiation says:
1g of matter is = 89,876,000,000,000 Joules of energy

Nuclear fission used in old nuclear weapons produces:
88,250,000,000 Joule pr. gram (0.098% of the mass-energy-equiation).
E=mc^2 = 1018 times as powerful.

Nuclear fusion of hydrogen, like in stars or modern nuclear weapons produces:
645,000,000,000 Joule pr. gram (0.72% of the mass-energy-equiation).
E=mc^2 = 139 times as powerful.

Imagine an anti-matter weapon! :D
...If it was possible to store antimatter inside a vacuum, and producing it in there... I assume it annihilates as soon as it reaches any normal matter, including air...
Using magnetic forces it might be possible (very hard though, since one single atom could mess up everything).
But still I don't know how it should be possible to get the antimatter inside it.

qwew80

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
Anti-Matter does annihilate itself and any matter it comes in contact with. Also, a vaccume would be a good way to to store Anti-Matter, as long as you had enough of a magnetic field to keep it from wandering to anything matter. One way to generate anti-matter would be to generate X-Bosons, which decay into matter and anti-matter.

P.S. Does anyone think this is getting off topic?

qwew80

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:26 AM »
Hello? Why won't anyone reply? Please reply!!! :o :o :o

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 07:31:41 AM »
Reply.