Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Enter The Dragon  (Read 22750 times)

Wanderlust

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Enter The Dragon
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
This is sad, honestly. :-\

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
So how much money was made off of the ads on this thing?

Wanderlust

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
Sad? Why? Its a grand victory in the commercial space revolution. No other non-governmental entity has done this before. Easier access to space.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »
Just that, commercial, non-governmental. That's why it's sad.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »
inb4 walmart takes over the space industry

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
Though, this does show how relatively easy it is to make spacecraft and stuff...

Wanderlust

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »
How can that be anything but good? The NewSpace industry will make access to space much easier. Cheaper, faster, efficient, reliable and not to mention safer. There are dozens of innovative companies within this movement. Industries expand dramatically when they evolve off government support and onto the private market.

Don't get me wrong. There is still room for gov't programs, infact they are the main drivers right now. But we need the innovation of private industry. With one giant entity with same unit the insane ideas do not get through, and it is the crazy ideas that change everything. Every industry starts from a band of little misfits.

and its hardly easy

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
Commercial stuff means no one will bother doing science because commercial stuff makes money and science makes money, but science takes longer to make money. Nasa does science because nasa money come from taxpayer. Commercial no do science because money come from business and people like to buy space, space hotels, all things space more than they do science.

Wanderlust

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
So, because NewSpace has come into existance, governmental and NASA science suddenly dies? The world is not linear, they can coexist, and in fact even need each other. NewSpace provides a better vehicle for science by providing better access to the science. ie the governemntal programs will buy private ships to transport exploratory equipment. Infact, most NASA science proposals now include Falcon 9 as a candidate launch vehicle. Lesser cost due to the outsourcing of some tasks(ie ground to orbit transport) allows for more to be done with the same budget. Better transportation makes science easier becasue the cost of the science drops.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:06:23 PM by Wanderlust »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »
Cheaper, faster, efficient, reliable and not to mention safer.
But we need the innovation of private industry.
Cheaper, faster, efficient? Maybe, but at what cost? The only innovation they're bringing is greed. Use as little as possible to make as much money as possible. They don't care how "safe" it is, they just want money.

Lesser cost due to the outsourcing of some tasks
Exactly what we need. 9.9

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
It's what the developing countries need, though...

Wanderlust

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »
These guys are pretty damn weird. These are billionaire nerds, made billionaires by the internet boom.  If they wanted more money they would invent the next amazon. Elon Musk has expressed extreme interest in making his species mulitplanetary. Thats the goal of his company.

They actually do care how safe it is because if they were wreckless they would doom their entire operation. NASA's bueracracy was allowed to live after several screwups caused by the bueracracy itself. Private enterprise and greed do not not always equate each other.

Dragon has a launch escape system built into its design. If something went wrong on the shuttle you were dead. Its built into the sidewall too, no expensive tower to jettison.

Does the government design and build your car or airplane? No, Toyota, GM, Boeing and Airbus etc. do.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »
Does the government design and build your car or airplane? No, Toyota, GM, Boeing and Airbus etc. do.
Does it mean I exactly trust they are doing their best? Also no. :-\

Not that I'd want the US government making cars or planes either, in the state that it is in right now.

Wanderlust

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »
Does it mean I exactly trust they are doing their best? Also no. :-\

Not that I'd want the US government making cars or planes either, in the state that it is in right now.

Then, whats the point? Nobody is perfect. Mistakes and flaws happen. I wouldn't it all in one basket anyway. It is all about a balance between the two. Governments spawn complacency with what you have, and that spawns critical mistakes for the long term. Private Enterprise spawn mistakes from trying to milk out too much profit from shortcuts and can reap short term disaster. We need both to regulate each other. Private innovation spawning crazy new ideas and governments from keeping them from going out of hand. When they become out of whack is where we see problems arise.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
Note: Not the UNTIED STATES government. He means only the Untied States government

Wanderlust

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
My point in the previous is we need two entities, one to do it, and one to regulate it.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »
Private innovation spawning crazy new ideas
Since when have private companies spawned "crazy new ideas"?

I think most "crazy new ideas" have come from independent scientists (If we're limiting this to science here).

smjjames

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

I think most "crazy new ideas" have come from independent scientists (If we're limiting this to science here).

Apple and Microsoft, need I say more?

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Well you and Wanderlust are currently assuming that people that the government has hired can't be exploratory in their innovation.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 04:45:41 PM »

Apple and Microsoft, need I say more?
Sounds more like someone/group of people having an idea and then becoming a company.

Wanderlust

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
Well you and Wanderlust are currently assuming that people that the government has hired can't be exploratory in their innovation.

Hardly, thats not what i am saying anyway. Its who is in control and how much control of funding. If the head of the program or anyone above that does not like it, you can forget about it. If a private company starts to become too complacent it will start to fail.

SpaceX has scientists and engineers too. I am pro all guys, we need them both.

Every company starts off as a crazy new idea. Don't forget the classics like Ford.

SpaceX is developing their single craft to pinpoint land on any body on the solar system. Elon Musk(CEO) who has a degree in engineering has also stated he plans to open the door for millions of colonists to Mars. Crzy new ideas. Musk is a crzy independent scientist.

Note that most of the innovations comes from when the company and industry is new. The older and bigger it is the more bureaucratic it is. But giants like Apple and IBM still show their ability to innovate.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »
he plans to open the door for millions of colonists to Mars
I just really hope this industry fails, I can't watch this happen, seriously. It's sahfuhdfsfds...

I'm gonna go sit in a corner and cry now.

Wanderlust

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
Okay, well go have fun on Mars. Both my governmental and private friends.

Mars in 10 years. Why not?

Ad Astra Graditium Ferociter

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »
Every company starts off as a crazy new idea. Don't forget the classics like Ford.

SpaceX is developing their single craft to pinpoint land on any body on the solar system. Elon Musk(CEO) who has a degree in engineering has also stated he plans to open the door for millions of colonists to Mars. Crazy new ideas. Musk is a crazy independent scientist.

Note that most of the innovations comes from when the company and industry is new. The older and bigger it is the more bureaucratic it is. But giants like Apple and IBM still show their ability to innovate.

Ford didn't begin very innovative, the first prototype of a car was actually created in Hungary in 1839, almost 100 years before Henry Ford decided to create Ford.

Most of the rest isn't detabala because it's facts. Although that idea isn't crazy, because many people want that. And yes, most of the innovations are when a company is new because they don't feel like they have tonnes of power.

Wanderlust

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
Talking about the assembly line that reduced the costs. ie  innovation, not invention.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 05:08:47 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '70941'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:54:37 AM by FiahOwl »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 05:25:51 AM »
Yes i think it is good news. Capsule hold 7 people compared to apollo capsule's 3.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
showed the world it's possible to do it without help from NASA
ESA doesn't exist, I guess? And whatever China calls their space program? They also showed the world how corporation-reliant America is.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
this is why your nemesis is SWKC