Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Audio - Easy Suggestion (As far as I know)  (Read 7252 times)

looseskrewz

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Audio - Easy Suggestion (As far as I know)
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »
What about adding a killer explosion sound when two planets collide.  :o Attatch the sound to the explosion, so that if you happened to be zoomed in on it, it would be loud....and vice versa if you were zoomed out.

Maybe not on top 10 list of things to do, but it would really make a huge difference....even some ambient space sounds would be awesome.

........Whenever I use Universe sandbox, I always play my ambient space sounds MP3.   :P

When I think of the sound, I think of how the sound is in the game Homeworld....(A great RTS Space battle game)

(Which, by the way I don't have time for anymore  :-[ )

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:55:25 PM by Dan Dixon »

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Easy Suggestion (As far as I know)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »
Adding sounds is a great idea.

It would be fairly easy to play a sound when two objects collide...

But a single collision sound wouldn't be appropriate for all collisions.

Consider all the possibilities:
- Moon vs Sun
- Earth vs Mars
- Sun vs Black hole
- Asteroid vs Earth

Also depending on the time step the collision might be quick or slow.

I'll be adding some sounds eventually, but not for a while. :)

eric2400

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »
Sounds seem like an odd thing to add considering in space there is no medium for sound waves to travel. =P  As a result, how would one even go about determining what sounds a collision like that could produce?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »
Sounds seem like an odd thing to add considering in space there is no medium for sound waves to travel. =P  As a result, how would one even go about determining what sounds a collision like that could produce?

Very true (and I am aware that sound in space is totally unrealistic), although explosion sounds would be fun and there would be a way to turn it off.

And regarding what it would sound like... Hollywood has already answered this question. :)

I will very likely be adding sound as part of the planned UI overhall if only as feedback that you've clicked a button or made a selection.

looseskrewz

Re: Audio - Easy Suggestion (As far as I know)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
Well, then in that case, you can't move planets around in space either...let alone change how the planets collide and whatnot.

It's all about the fun of it......what good does being a scientist do,  if you can't have some fun along the way.

Come on, collision sounds would be a great addition.   :o

eric2400

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »
I do think sounds would be a great aspect, I was just stating its impracticality seeing as space just fundamentally cannot have sound.   :D   I can't wait to see what it sounds like when I collide a giant asteroid with the moon   :o

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 02:39:07 AM »
Adding sound effects is a low priority item (but something that I do eventually want to add).

Right now I'm polishing up a few new features (and fixing some bugs) and will releasing a new version later this week. Then I'm going to being the UI overall which will take several weeks.

looseskrewz

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:38:32 AM »
I do think sounds would be a great aspect, I was just stating its impracticality seeing as space just fundamentally cannot have sound.   :D   I can't wait to see what it sounds like when I collide a giant asteroid with the moon   :o

Yea, I understand where you were coming from.

BOOOOOMMMM   CRASH    BAM    Hey this marquee thing is cool!!