Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What improvements would you like to see to the UI (user interface)?  (Read 6863 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
I'm getting ready to dramatically overhaul and rethink the user interface (the buttons and controls) of Universe Sandbox. My goal is to make Universe Sandbox easier to learn and use.

What improvements would you like to see in the new UI (user interface)?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:37:45 PM by Dan Dixon »

Frosty10001

Re: What improvements would you like to see to the UI (user interface)?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »
Everything is very easy for me to use and create fictional solar system and observe real ones, however, the only problem I occur is when I bring up the menu while the right click screen is up. The system commands are slightly viewable, but that is easy to fix for me. I just have to take the menu down and continue what I was going to do with the menu another time.

APODman

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
    • Astronomic Picture of the Day - Brazil
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:43:32 PM »
I would also suggest the possibility of elaborate a system to creating objects by inserting your orbital elements ( and/or your vetorial data ) as well as a system that create a data file with the orbital elements of the orbital evolution of the body along the simulation

These deployments would allow greater freedom and flexibility in configuring a more wider and complex variety of simulations and allow a quantitative analysis of the results of the simulation ( that sometimes tells us more about the evolution of the systems than the visual aspects of simulation ).

That's it  :)

[ ]´s

LtSmith

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 02:08:28 AM »
Something I'd love to see is this. It's not easy to explain so bear with me.

When moving an object it's not really easy to put it in orbit - that's what the orbit parent button is for of course. But perhaps a projection of where, taking into account your object's current velocity, you can release your object to put it in orbit would be nice.

Right now I do it with projected paths, but I have no idea how hard it would be to implement the above.

looseskrewz

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:26:24 PM »
Dan,

Honestly, I don't think the UI could be any easier. It seems very simple to me.

I think it is a great layout.

....in reference to other peoples comments about placing objects, maybe you could make some type of 2D screen for placing objects. ...just have 2 windows, one would be in the X,Y direction, and the other would be in the Z direction....then you could drag your object around in both windows, and place it where you want, in reference to the parent object that you would pick in advance (which would also show up in the windows)........you could have some type of elastic measurement lines that would be connected to the parent object and your object, to show your distances in AU....or whatever.

It may make it simpler for some people to place an object just where they want it.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.

the only problem I occur is when I bring up the menu while the right click screen is up. The system commands are slightly viewable, but that is easy to fix for me. I just have to take the menu down and continue what I was going to do with the menu another time.

I expect this to be fixed during the UI upgrade. (Running your monitor at a higher resolution, if you can, will also fix this)

To looseskrewz & LtSmith:

Adjusting orbits and velocities will be addressed.

To APODman:

I'll be adding better controls for creating objects. Outputting data, while a great idea, is a low priority right now.

Anyone else?

Jareth86

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:38:47 PM »
One thing I'd like to see is a better gui when creating planets. Maybe when you set them down, you get a draggable arrow so you can aim it (give it a red dot if its pointing at a planet, like a laser scope). All I know is, right now, its impossible to properly set down planets.

eric2400

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if it is possible to replace an object with one of the presets during the simulation.  The only way I was able to get close was to zoom in to the object, then delete, then add the preset.  If there isn't an easy way to switch an object with a preset I think it would be a cool feature :)

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
Yes and Yes. Both great suggestions.

An option to replace is a great idea as it being able to redirect the object's velocity vector.

Current work arounds:

Change the object's velocity vector by setting an objects velocity to zero, then while focused on the object, aim your view in the direction you want it to move, and select 'nudge', then adjust the velocity to the desired speed)

You can also move planets by holding down the M key while hovering over them... You'll be able to do this entirely with the mouse in the future.