Universe Sandbox Legacy > Universe Sandbox 2008 | Discussion

Why isn't Universe Sandbox free?

(1/14) > >>

Dan Dixon:
Our Universe is amazing and it feels wonderful to help share that reality with you. I want to make this my life's work.

If I had $100 million dollars I'd hire top programmers and artists to help me take Universe Sandbox to the next level, and then I'd just give it way.

Unfortunately I'm not wealthy and the most straightforward way to eventually be able to work on Universe Sandbox full time is to charge people money.

I'm really conflicted because I don't want money to get in the way to people (and kids) of using my software, but at the same time I need money to be able to take it to the next level. This is why my pricing model is "pay what you can". I feel this is a fair compromise between my need for monetization and my desire of generosity.

If someone 'steals' a copy of Universe Sandbox who doesn't have any money and they're learning about our amazing Universe then what's there for me to be upset about?

Likewise, if someone does have the means to pay for Universe Sandbox and they don't... I think that borders on the unethical. If this is you, please consider making a purchase at the price you can afford.

I don't know what each and every person's story is. I don't know if you have the means (or a parent or guardian that has the means). For some, $25 is a lot of money, while others might not give it a second thought.

I am so thankful to each and every person that has purchased a copy of Universe Sandbox. You have pushed me toward making the big leap toward the dream that has unfolded for me over the last year (making Universe Sandbox my full time job). There's still a long way to go, but I'm dedicated to making it happen.

atomic7732:
I never put lowest price, I always put average (in this case $25).

Naru523:
Thank you Dan.

Bla:
Yes, I felt bad about purchasing it for a low price, but I'm considering a donation or something soon, so I hope that'll make it good again. :)

hbmp88:
Unfortunately I had to get it for only $5 because i have no income. My parents don't give me money for doing chores, and I'm underagged. I feel really bad now...  :-[

hopefully my ideas will make up for it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version