Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why is my water weird?  (Read 4930 times)

ExiaTreason

Why is my water weird?
« on: August 09, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »
It does this regardless of what planet I use (except for Earth?). Other planets seem like they're always submerged in water if they have it by default. This makes it impossible to have proper continents and what not.

Not sure if it's a bug or if it has to do with the higher res textures added a few updates ago?

RobotWillie

Re: Why is my water weird?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
I trust you are not adjusting the height of the terrain? If the terrain isn't high enough in addition to the  amount of water then the land will not peak over the water. Adjust the terrain height to fix this.

I have a thread in the Support and Bugs forum talking about a problem that could also be what you are facing, the fact that it doesn't remember what height I have the terrain at, "Surface Data". So if I save a planet as a user object that has a terrain height of say 11 KM, it goes back to its default of 21 if I place the saved object in a new sim, or even back into the same sim. The same goes for normal saves, as in loading the save of a sim the planet is already present in also resets it to a default height of 21.

So this screws up the land and water ratio on my planets as well where I had the height to what I wanted to land to look like, but it forgets it. And no one ever answered a way to maybe fix it so I hope it will be in an update soon, I am sure its not just problems on my end.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
This could also be a result of the jump in water material when you first add it. To get proper continents you have to first add some water (which will jump the material percentage to like 0.1% or something) and then slowly decrease it until the water percentage is like 0.0001% or something. You can eyeball it tp get better specific numbers but you have to ease it back down otherwise it'll jump down to 0.

planetuniversesandbox

• Geography flags space and other stuff (LoL)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 08:35:20 AM »
Uh, here's Kepler-62f, a Potentially Habitable Exoplanet. (207.95 Kelvin)