Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dont have VR? Get a cheap projector  (Read 3774 times)

DeVoiD

Dont have VR? Get a cheap projector
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:45:05 AM »
Well, if you don't have a VR kit, to be fully immersed in the universe sandbox, I suggest you get a projector (there are some very goo, very cheap ones out there), and just hook it up to your computer rig, and project the image on a large wall, or go vertical and  project it on your ceiling!

Yeah its not the same, but I can say, its pretty darn awesome, and you still feel like you are in the middle of it (dark room, or at night especially).

What a lovely way to enjoy playing around with Universe sandbox!  its good for losing an hour or four! LOL

Anyway, I wanted to put this out there, so people enjoying this software could find another way to enjoy it, without the expense of a VR kit (which sometimes needs a new computer to handle it).

DeVoiD

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Re: Dont have VR? Get a cheap projector
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
A projector would be good value for money though. I looked at the insane price of VR and its very expensive. Some people cannot use VR mode because they get headaches. That's what happens to me when I use VR mode. A projector does not give me that awful sensation.

DeVoiD

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 05:28:13 AM »
I know a lot of people experience vertigo, depending on what they are viewing.

The good news with a lot of newer laptops (and hardware configurable desktop PC's), is that you have two video outputs, and so could actually connect up two projectors, and in the OS set them up and "Extended Desktop" instead of just "Duplicate Screen", which means you could set up the projectors in such a way (edge to edge for the projected area) that it would be a massive viewable area of what's on the screen.

How cool would that be, if you have a large area to project on, such as a ceiling or very wide and tall wall!

Here is a projector for under $50 not including shipping): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DMD7QTE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_GveeFb2WQEVKR

And that has the usual connectors.

then this one, I like the look of it, very slim line, and under $55 - not including shipping): https://www.newegg.com/p/0FC-00WR-00078

That one is quite different, not only does it have some of the usual connectors on it, but you can also connect it via USB! and its probably quite bring at 400 lumens. 

So you can see, there are a lot of choices, and they wont break the bank.

The first link above, I bought that one, and its pretty good for such a small projector.  Just know though that at that price for each projector, if the bulb were to die, or anything else fail, its not going to be worth getting the bulb replaced, or the hardware fixed (warranty or not), and is pretty much disposable.

Still though, its very cool to do with one projector, and I think it would be amazing with a second one.  So, I may just go ahead and buy another projector (probably the one in the second link), and give it a try.

Certainly food for though, on how to get more enjoyment out of Universe Sandbox without going crazy and expensive.

DeVoiD

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
I always experience vertigo with VR.

DeVoiD

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 07:32:16 AM »
I know what you mean, it can really mess with equilibrium, that's for sure.  That why I was SO excited when Microsoft first talked about the Holo Lens and Augmented Reality.  But very soon I was bummed, because they are targeting everyone but gamers, etc and going straight to businesses for them.  Engineers, healthcare and so on.

Totally bummed by that, they should know there is a huge market for AR.  Plus of course, even their 2nd gen holo lens, has a very small are of view (looking out, its quite narrow).

DeVoiD