Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to change experimental settings for Mac  (Read 13499 times)

Mgtnquasar

• I love Astronomy, Sports, and Geography!
How to change experimental settings for Mac
« on: November 02, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
I have a Mac running Mac OS, and i keep getting this screen when I try to place an object or do anything. I can view everything, but not place or change anything.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/568550868237156403/640359986165448705/Screen_Shot_2019-11-02_at_5.05.10_PM.gif

Is there anyway to change that threw Mac settings an if so, could anyone tell me how? I really want to see and experiment with the new experimental, but at this rate, I don't know if I will be able to do so.
I had to re add the link, because the first one did not work. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:20:23 PM by Mgtnquasar »

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: How to change experimental settings for Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:16 AM »
Sorry for the issue. Did you recently update to macOS 10.15 Catalina? This version introduces stronger security measures. When you first run Universe Sandbox after updating to Catalina, you should see a prompt that asks you if you want to allow Universe Sandbox to access files in your Documents folder. Click OK. Universe Sandbox will launch and should work as normally.

If you do not click OK, or if you do not see this prompt, then you need to manually change your security setting: Click Apple icon (menu bar) > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files & Folders.

Click the lock in the bottom left and enter your password to allow changes. Then check the box next to Universe Sandbox.

Let me know if that helps!

Mgtnquasar

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
Hey Jar, thanks for the reply! Yes, I have updated to macOS 10.15 Catalina and have done what you've recommended for me to do. The thing is, I explicitly did what you've told me to do and it still brings up this certain command telling me that I cannot actively use the game.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/640767362798190604/641764933402361906/Screen_Shot_2019-11-06_at_5.23.44_PM.gif
Is there anything else that I need to do for it to work properly, or does my computer not support it anymore? I have bought this computer in early January of 2019, so my question is, is there anything else I can do to make the simulation function properly?
Edit: I have also noticed that I can mess around with the new laser feature and with planet statistics, but I cannot place any object.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:28:33 PM by Mgtnquasar »

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
Mac OS operating systems are very special, so they are not compatible with Windows software. Your best bet is to use and install Windows XP or later operating systems to use Universe Sandbox.

I am using Universe Sandbox on a Windows PC and it all works fine. I can create custom objects, save them and place them in any simulation without any errors. For everything to work properly for you, you must change your operating system to Windows. Minimum requirements to run Universe Sandbox is Windows XP with 4GB of RAM or higher.

Mgtnquasar

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 09:50:15 PM »
Oh I whole heartedly agree with your statement. I have wanted and need a Windows computer for a while now. The only thing that is and has stopped me is that I cannot afford it, and I just got this Mac a few months back. This computer does have good graphics and software to run the simulations perfectly, but it is just the experimental that has caused me trouble, although I have been dying to play with the new update! Do you think there is any other way that I can fix this issue on Mac? Also, thank you Cesare for the response! It helps to know that for possible troubles that I come across in the future!

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »
I'd suggest lowering settings or waiting for the official release.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 11:47:43 PM »
Ah, so you are using the experimental build of Universe Sandbox. Thanks for mentioning that. The experimental build is not finished. There are sill many bugs lurking around. Perhaps this build is not optimized yet for Mac OS operating systems.

If you cannot afford to buy a new PC, you can download free iso image copies of Windows 10 from the internet. You will need to find a full product key. When you find the .iso image file of Windows 10, download it first, then burn it to a DVD/USB/SD Card or hard drive. Next step will be to reboot your machine and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on your hard disk. First remove Mac OS, by deleting the hard disk partition(s) and install Windows 10 as a brand new installation. When finished, try to run Universe Sandbox again with the experimental build and try again to see if your problem is solved.

Please note that you will need to re-install all your software applications, apps and drivers after the new installation of Windows 10 is complete. If you find any Windows 10 bugs, use the feedback hub to report any bugs you find to Microsoft. You will need a Microsoft account to submit feedback and complaints to Microsoft.

I hope I helped you out. If you need more help, I'll be glad to help you further. Just give me a shout and I'll help you out.

Good luck, and enjoy Windows 10 and Universe Sandbox.

Mgtnquasar

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 02:58:13 PM »
Thanks again for the reply! The thing is that I cannot due to my parents not allowing me to change the OS to my computer. Thank you for giving me a good suggestion though! I will keep that in mind for later down the line! If there is anymore tips for it to work, please tell me! Thanks again for the support! I really appreciate it!

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »
Yes, you are welcome. I am always here to help. I agree that your parents won't let you change the operating system.

I don't use Mac, so I cannot distinguish the real problem to solve your issue. For further help, just contact the Universe Sandbox developers and ask them to give you step-by-step instructions on how to make Universe Sandbox work properly on your Mac PC's operating system.

Good luck.

Mgtnquasar

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 01:22:29 PM »
Ah okay, sounds good! My question is tho, how I get the direct attention of the developers, and who should I ask? Dan Dixon or Jar?

Mgtnquasar

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
Update: I would like to thank everyone for their support and helpfulness in helping me address and figure out my issues! I would especially like to thank Jar, Cesare, and Lord DC for their feedback on the matter. I have deleted Steam and then re-downloaded it. Then I loaded up the experimental version and it works just fine! So with that said, thank you everyone!

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »
For the best results, you can contact both Dan Dixon and Jar.

Just make a list of all the bugs you find in Universe Sandbox 2 and send them to Dan Dixon and Jar.

To clarify things for easy identification, please write down the bugs in full sentences and type [BUG] before the description. Example: [BUG] Universe Sandbox keeps crashing on Mac OS 9.

Be very specific. Also, if possible please attach a screenshot of the bug in question. Images will help developers distinguish the problem better and give a better description of what you are trying to say. A picture is worth 1000 words.

You are most welcome. Me and other did our best to solve your issue. Your problem could have been that your Steam client was corrupt. That's great that your tried to solve the problem by uninstall the client, then reupload it. Make sure that you always update your Steam client to the latest version. Also, please report any Steam client bugs to the developers.

Good luck.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »
Mgtnquasar, glad you got that figured out. Generally speaking, there shouldn't be any issues unique to Macs with Universe Sandbox. This security issue is new with Catalina and we're still getting acquainted with it (as are many other developers!). I've seen a couple other users say they had to reinstall Universe Sandbox in addition to checking the security settings -- my guess is that would have done the trick as well, instead of reinstalling Steam. But as long as it works now.  :)

Also, just FYI, the error console you are seeing is something that snuck into the experimental builds and it shouldn't be there. You may see it pop up with other errors you encounter in the experimental build, but you can usually just click the X to close it.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »
The experimental build still has so many bugs that users complain about. Please can you developers do your very best to eliminate all the remaining bugs in the experimental build of surface grids, including bugs that were there many moons ago in previous official updates of Universe Sandbox. For example, the frozen bug that many users complained about must be fixed once it for all.

Mgtnquasar

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »
Thank you for the info about the error tab. That was a bit confusing, but it does show you where the errors are. Also, I don´t know if this is a bug or not, but when I add Earth, the sea level seems to be a bit low, so I have to add a bit more water for it to appear normal. Apart from that and the frozen bug, the experimental version has been awesome!

DeVoiD

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 04:27:16 AM »
Update: I would like to thank everyone for their support and helpfulness in helping me address and figure out my issues! I would especially like to thank Jar, Cesare, and Lord DC for their feedback on the matter. I have deleted Steam and then re-downloaded it. Then I loaded up the experimental version and it works just fine! So with that said, thank you everyone!

Just know that if that ever happens again, and you went into the security settings, and all was well there.  You would have to go into First Aid on the Mac, and Repair Permissions.  Almost every time Apple does an updates OS, they break a lot of permissions.  After any update to the OS, its best to go the First Aid on the Mac's permissions.  That probably would have fixed you initial issue versus deleting Steam and reloading it (which of course would install with the correct permissions, as it would be considered a new install).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Oh, and Windows would only install on a Mac if it has the Intel chipset, anything else, it wont install.

If you have an Intel chipset, you could actually load Windows as a Virtual Machine, either using Parallels (costs money) or VirtualBox (Free). 

Virtualbox: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Parallels:https://www.parallels.com/pd/virtualbox/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg_uI4tDM6gIVg5yzCh2xdwaKEAAYASAAEgLxL_D_BwE

Then there is no need to overwrite your OS.  But there will be performance limits, as you are running an OS on top of an OS.

Just things to keep in mind.

DeVoiD

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 05:44:10 AM »
Update 26 is coming soon. Its official. Developers mentioned that already. Perhaps, Update 26 will be an experimental build. Who knows. Lets wait and see.

planetuniversesandbox

• Geography flags space and other stuff (LoL)
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »
[/img]no
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 05:40:30 PM by planetuniversesandbox »

planetuniversesandbox

• Geography flags space and other stuff (LoL)
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2022, 04:16:40 PM »