Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Remote Access  (Read 6145 times)

bw_mutley

Remote Access
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:37:11 PM »
Hi there,
I am a Physics professor and use Universe Sandbox at home. I was wondering if it would be possible to access US2 from a remote machine and pipe:

commands from machine 1 -> remote machine running US2 -> video stream -> back to machine 1.

The idea comes from the fact my home PC is very capable of several simulations which my notebook does not. With such a setup I could show simulations of US2 at my classroom using CPU + GPU from my home or even my campus mainframe machine.

I am starting to see a possible solution for it now, I just came here as a first place. Didn't try other sites, I would be happy if you could at least point me out some other clues for where to read about and know it better.

Thanks for your attention.

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Re: Remote Access
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 03:51:21 PM »
I am not sure.

DeVoiD

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 07:27:49 AM »
There is not real "pipe" in the way you describe, but you will want to use some kind of Remote Desktop, so you can interact with your home computer from work.

This is NOT an easy task.  A high overview of the process:

You will need to talk to your Internet provider and get a static (preferred method) IP address.  Make a note of that IP address (that's your remote IP address you will need later on).

Install whatever program you want to use for Remote Desktop (on Windows computer, Remote Desktop is already preinstalled).  If using Remote Desktop, enable the program (its disabled by default).

Make a note of the port used by the remote Desktop program.

On you router (not the cable modem, unless its a combined cable modem and router) you would have to configure it so that your computer gets a static IP address (same one every time - this is something the router hands out, and is not the same as the static one you will get from your internet provider).

On you router you would have to configure either port triggering, or port forwarding, making sure to match the IP address and port used for Remote Desktop (or whatever program) on your computer.

Once you get to work, make sure you have the same program installed on your work computer. Open it, and put in the External IP address your Internet provider gave you.

You will be prompted at some point for the username and password of your home computer, enter that and you should be all set. 

Of course, wherever you work, you may want to ask your IT people if they block that Remote Desktop port, otherwise none of this will work.

Just remember, at home you do need a pretty decent upload speed (most providers give high download but slower upload speeds), and at work places, they tend to make upload and download speeds the same.  if you don't have good upload speeds at home, then you may get some "stutter" as its streaming the Remote Desktop session.   Also just know that DSL isn't very good, even at its fastest speeds available.

Again, this is high level, you would need to understand how to configure your router, etc.

Hope this helps.
DeVoiD
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:37:27 AM by DeVoiD »

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »
My internet connection is fine.

DeVoiD

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 01:18:27 PM »
Great.... good for you....... what a joy that must be for you.......... But my high level view was in answer to bw_mutley's question about RDP over the Internet, and nothing to do with your Internet speed.  After all, you posted you were not sure how, whereas I am, and I explained the "how to"  to him.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 02:38:06 PM »
Yeah, good for me.

DeVoiD

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 06:32:19 AM »
When's the next update?

DeVoiD

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 05:41:36 AM »
Wrong Thread!

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »
I can't wait for the next update to arrive.

DeVoiD

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
I can't wait for the next update to arrive.

WRONG THREAD