Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Improved climate mode  (Read 7725 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Improved climate mode
« on: August 14, 2019, 07:03:49 PM »
Climate mode in Universe Sandbox is very buggy. I does not work properly. The climate mode is buggy for Earth, custom made planets, and worst of all, for Mars. My suggestion is for developers to improve climate mode by adding more visuals features and to get rid of all bugs. The most annoying bugs occur when the climate's temperature changes, either up or down and does not correspond to temperature changes and simulation speeds. The climate mode animation does not work correctly. Mostly the retreating and expansion of ice for ice caps suddenly appears or disappears. Also when planets becomes very hot (between 50 to 100 degrees), climate mode should show heat on the ground by showing an orange to red glow, representing heat.

I have noticed that the climate mode animations are also repetitive for different simulation scenarios and different custom objects. That is not correct because the physical shape of ice would be always different from year to year after expanding and retreat of ice caps. That problem is also because of the lack of surface textures and quality of graphics.

For the Earth climate mode, NASA uses an infra-red filter which is capable of showing accurate thermal localized temperatures, displaying different temperature levels throughout the Earth's globe. In Universe Sandbox, climate mode would need an extra option which would show localized infra-red temperatures for Earth and all other custom user made planets that have climate mode enabled.

Planet grids are soon coming out for Universe Sandbox, but that is not enough for the improvement of climate mode. First of all, developers must find and track down all bugs relating to the animation effects and temperature of climate mode. Then, an infra-red thermal system feature model must be added in place to show localized temperatures when climate mode is switched on.

However fast or slow any simulations run, climate mode must be made suitable for various time steps of simulation speeds to avoid glitches. Also, I have noticed when making super Earth sized planets, climate mode does not work at all for planet which are supersized and have massive atmospheres. For tiny planets with very low or no atmospheres, the climate mode system does not show up at all.

Please improve climate mode by fixing all bugs and glitches and also add more features relating to climate mode. An infra-red thermal localized temperature model system must be added to climate mode. Also, the water freezing bug interferes with climate mode, so please fix that annoying frozen glitch that everybody, including me, is complaining about.

I hope that the planet grids system will open up the door to new and improved possibilities that will expand what climate mode can do and how it would behave. Water vapour is yet another cool feature that needs to be added to climate mode, as well as rain, falling snow and fog. Different weather patterns and winds such as breeze, drizzle, tornadoes and hurricanes are superb visual features that must be added to climate mode too. All wind types and patterns must be fully animated with climate mode.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Improved climate mode
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 07:34:24 AM »
Simulating temperature and climate should become more interesting with Surface Grids. But there will still be time step limitations, that is something we simply can't get around. And while we are very roughly simulating water vapor, we will still be very far away from any more complex weather simulation.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »
Planet grids should open up the doors to many possibilities. Simulating water vapor and simulating weather patterns and winds like hurricanes and tornadoes is a feature which I would really like to use in Universe Sandbox.

I clearly understand your point that this is difficult to implement, but once planet grids are released, weather simulations with improved climate mode models can become possible.

Time steps are OK, but somewhat glitchy when accelerating more than 6 months per second, but that is not too much of a problem because I always simulate simulations below the 6 months limit.

SMN_665

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 05:37:48 PM »
Climate mode in Universe Sandbox is very buggy. I does not work properly. The climate mode is buggy for Earth, custom made planets, and worst of all, for Mars. My suggestion is for developers to improve climate mode by adding more visuals features and to get rid of all bugs. The most annoying bugs occur when the climate's temperature changes, either up or down and does not correspond to temperature changes and simulation speeds. The climate mode animation does not work correctly. Mostly the retreating and expansion of ice for ice caps suddenly appears or disappears. Also when planets becomes very hot (between 50 to 100 degrees), climate mode should show heat on the ground by showing an orange to red glow, representing heat.

I have noticed that the climate mode animations are also repetitive for different simulation scenarios and different custom objects. That is not correct because the physical shape of ice would be always different from year to year after expanding and retreat of ice caps. That problem is also because of the lack of surface textures and quality of graphics.

For the Earth climate mode, NASA uses an infra-red filter which is capable of showing accurate thermal localized temperatures, displaying different temperature levels throughout the Earth's globe. In Universe Sandbox, climate mode would need an extra option which would show localized infra-red temperatures for Earth and all other custom user made planets that have climate mode enabled.

Planet grids are soon coming out for Universe Sandbox, but that is not enough for the improvement of climate mode. First of all, developers must find and track down all bugs relating to the animation effects and temperature of climate mode. Then, an infra-red thermal system feature model must be added in place to show localized temperatures when climate mode is switched on.

However fast or slow any simulations run, climate mode must be made suitable for various time steps of simulation speeds to avoid glitches. Also, I have noticed when making super Earth sized planets, climate mode does not work at all for planet which are supersized and have massive atmospheres. For tiny planets with very low or no atmospheres, the climate mode system does not show up at all.

Please improve climate mode by fixing all bugs and glitches and also add more features relating to climate mode. An infra-red thermal localized temperature model system must be added to climate mode. Also, the water freezing bug interferes with climate mode, so please fix that annoying frozen glitch that everybody, including me, is complaining about.

I hope that the planet grids system will open up the door to new and improved possibilities that will expand what climate mode can do and how it would behave. Water vapour is yet another cool feature that needs to be added to climate mode, as well as rain, falling snow and fog. Different weather patterns and winds such as breeze, drizzle, tornadoes and hurricanes are superb visual features that must be added to climate mode too. All wind types and patterns must be fully animated with climate mode.

I also noticed If I turn off the "Calculated Radius" from a planet, and mod it with diferent atmosphere color and add climate the water freezes out even if the temperature is above 20 °C

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »
Yes, that's true. The water freezing glitch gets triggered even if climate mode or the calculated radius is turned off. Even if you set your planets temperature to 500 degrees celsius, the frozen glitch still makes water freeze on planets. That makes no sense. The frozen glitch is so annoying.

What I would like you to do is pass the word on and ask as many people as possible to report the frozen glitch. All users using Universe Sandbox must report the "frozen glitch" on the forum and also when you exist Universe Sandbox. Just keep on persisting on reporting this frozen glitch. This is one of the worst glitches in Universe Sandbox, so it must be fixed once it for all. Please keep reporting this "water freezing bug".

Thank you.

DeVoiD

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 04:49:26 AM »
Yes, that's true. The water freezing glitch gets triggered even if climate mode or the calculated radius is turned off. Even if you set your planets temperature to 500 degrees celsius, the frozen glitch still makes water freeze on planets. That makes no sense. The frozen glitch is so annoying.

What I would like you to do is pass the word on and ask as many people as possible to report the frozen glitch. All users using Universe Sandbox must report the "frozen glitch" on the forum and also when you exist Universe Sandbox. Just keep on persisting on reporting this frozen glitch. This is one of the worst glitches in Universe Sandbox, so it must be fixed once it for all. Please keep reporting this "water freezing bug".

Thank you.

How many times can you say "frozen glitch"? Jeez... and you think that by SPAMMING the developers in a forum or in any other fashion, that's going to make them WANT to fix the issue!  nope, all you will do is piss them off and remember they are under NO obligation to update anything........

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 05:42:38 AM »
I will not talk about that frozen glitch anymore because there is no need to. Climate mode has been removed and replaced with a much more sophisticated technology called "surface grids". Surface grids became possible in Update 24, and has evolved ever since, and will continue to improve in the foreseeable future.

This thread that I have written about "improved climate mode" is an old and outdated thread. I will leave it here on this forum for people to read only and they might get some useful ideas in their heads on what kind of useful feature to implement for climate in future updates.

Temperature issues have now been fixed, so there is no need for me to complain about it, unless there are any new temperature bugs in the future.