Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eliptical orbits for some bodies  (Read 6069 times)

Eliptical orbits for some bodies
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:45:17 PM »
Hi, I am new to this software and I was wondering if someone could help me out. What I want is to create my solar system, but allow mother nature to create and collide things as she wishes. I am trying to have a comet in an elliptical orbit around the sun, where the chance of a collision is higher eventually should the orbit cross into another planets. However I see to only be able to get circular orbits. Is there a option that I am missing that allows one to create a different orbit path than just a perfect circular orbit? Thanks in advance

Re: Eliptical orbits for some bodies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 11:17:53 PM »
I just found a video. This is exactly what I want. So how do I do this? Unfortunately I can't find a single video that explains anything about it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx9oAYTQ2g0

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 12:55:17 AM »
Well. I just launched a comet and that appears to do the trick somewhat. So that will do if you can't chose the exact shape of the orbit. But would definitely appreciate if anyone has any answers for another way ✌💚 thanks

tkulogo

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:39:05 AM »
When you click on an object, a small window opens, when you click on that, you get the object's properties. In the motion tab, under orbital elements, is eccentricity. The eccentricity of periodic orbits range from 0 to 1, with 0 being circular and 1 being so impossibly elliptical that the orbit would just be a straight line. Of the numbered Halley-type comets, they have ellipticies ranging from 0.835 to 0.975 with the average being 0.935. try some similar numbers in your sim to see what you like. I hope this gets you started.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 02:30:07 AM »
Thanks so much, really appreciate it 👍👍👍