Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gliese 876 System Revision  (Read 3218 times)

Gregory

Gliese 876 System Revision
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:36:17 PM »
It's been over 3 years since I've last been here, but after remembering how inaccurate US2 renders the Gliese 876 planets, I revised the system to its more respectful accuracy.

D has been revised into a terrestrial planet based on our best analysis, with its radius revised to 1.65x that of Earth's.
C and b are still the same size and mass, but I fixed their composition by increasing the hydrogen layer as they're most definitely gas giants or mini hot neptunes.
E is already rendered as a gas giant/mini-neptune, so it's fine the way it is.

Here's a screenshot of the system, using chart mode to emphasize the sizes and appearances of the planets.

D is now rendered here as a terrestrial planet, with its diameter revised to 1.65x Earth's radius based on most likely belief and studies.
B, and c are now converted to gas giants or mini-neptunes by increasing the hydrogen layer (keep in mind a 0% hydrogen/water layer makes the planet entirely rocky).

C would've been likely to harbor a large moon, but tidal interactions with the other planets combined with the star diminish those chances, yet given the properties, there's likely a ring system orbiting the planet, and I added it to c on the sim.

Here's the simulation of how the system's most likely to be.