Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: did you know it takes six tons of bullshit to make one ton of fertilizer  (Read 2591 times)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
actually i just made that up on the spot, but it is a rule of reality that the ratio of bullshit to useful things is always about 6:1. here are some examples in descending order of legitness:

1. i was just on a trip which lasted 30 hours. out of those 30, 14 were traveling, 10 was logistics (sleeping etc), 6 was interviewing, and 4 was actually interviewing (aka interviewing sans pleasantries and lunch, etc), so 4:26 is 1:6.5, for every hour i spent actually answering interview questions, i spent another 6.5 hours doing nothing directly useful

2. of those 14 hours spent traveling, 6 were to and from the airport (90 minutes from hotel/home to airport each of 4 ways), 4 was going through the airport/security/etc, and 4 were spent on a plane. of the 4 hours spent on a plane, 2 were on the tarmac and 2 were in flight, aka the only actual useful part of planes. so 12 hours were useless. 2:12 = 1:6, for every hour i spent flying, i spent 6 hours doing nothing useful

3. back when i had a job, i spent 8 out of 24 hours at the company. of those 8 hours, one was eating lunch, one was in meetings, and one was answering emails. another hour was fooling around, and probably half an hour was fighting our horrible version control system, so i got about 3.5 hours of actual work done each day. 3.5:20.5 = 1:5.86, so for every one hour of work i had 5.86 hours of who knows what

4. from an information theoretic perspective, each character in the english language has roughly 1 bit of entropy (this is actually true i'm not making it up). however, it takes up 8 bits if you encode using ascii, so that's 7 bits of nonsense for every bit of actual information

5. have you ever been in a group project with 7 people where 1 person did all the work. well there you go

6. usf has 10 boards, but only this one (everything else) is any good, so the ratio is 1:9 -- a bit on the high side but i'll take it
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:18:57 PM by vh »

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: did you know it takes six tons of bullshit to make one ton of fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:29:58 AM »
well you can't replace letters with 0's and 1's with people having any damn idea what you're talking about (or phonemes with just two, for that matter) so

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:10:36 AM »
for every one person worthy enough to understand binary english, there are 6 darvinces

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »
teoneia

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
aienoet

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 07:58:37 AM »
i thought you would be smart enough to realize that that was a full message compressed by removing six characters after every supposedly useful character

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »
i thought you would be smart enough to realize that although there is a compression algorithm which can compress text with a ratio of 7:1, removing 6 out of every 7 characters is not that algorithm

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »
0b0i0s220k00