Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Improve elevation levels and the height map system  (Read 6649 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Improve elevation levels and the height map system
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »
Universe sandbox 2 currently does not physically show the elevation levels and the height map of rocky planets. When adding water to rocky planets or changing the sea levels of Earth, Mars or other planets, the elevation levels of the landscape does not show up when zooming in close to the planet.

The height map is a needed feature so that the ocean floor and land can show details of mountains and other rocky formations on rocky planets. That includes all custom made planets and Earth, Mars, alike.

Altitude:

The altitude is also a needed feature which is currently not available in Universe Sandbox 2. The altitude would enable to measure the height of elevation such as mountains and valleys on land and in the oceans. Please add altitude to Universe Sandbox 2.

Pizzaeater1K

Re: Improve elevation levels and the height map system
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:54:48 AM »
This is currently not needed and may be too resource intensive.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
You are wrong. This feature is needed in Universe Sandbox 2. Soon, when planet grids are released, it will open up many new possibilities relating to temperature, height maps, elevation and many other features relating to clouds, oceans, sea floor data, and even earth quakes and volcanoes.

This feature will not be too resource intensive because developers will figure out a way to improve the performance of simulations in Universe Sandbox 2 as well as the improvement of climate mode.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »
As you pointed out, this is something we are working on. Planet Grids will allow for more detailed elevation maps, though it won't be quite as detailed as in your screenshots.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »
That's great. What we need is more details. Please optimize planet grids as much as possible so that the level of detail can be as high as possible. Also, there must be many more features relating to temperatures, clouds, ocean floor depth and elevation, plus atmosphere composition and thicknesses.

I also hope that planet grids will bring a feature to monitor storms, hurricanes and tornadoes. Whether events relating to wind forces and El Nino must be simulated as well in Universe Sandbox 2.

KimJammer

• Error: Null
    • My US2 Discord Server
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
I would like to gently remind you that Universe Sandbox 2 is a space simulator, not a planet/world simulator. :)

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »
I know that Universe Sandbox 2 is a space simulator, but I would like to have the features incorporated into this simulator like I described above.