Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More Measurements for Mass and Radius  (Read 5942 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
More Measurements for Mass and Radius
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
I have created a rocky planet and wanted it to be exactly 2 Mars in radius. The Mars radius measurement is not there, so I could not make it the exact size radius I wanted. Also, I wanted the mass to be 3 Neptunes, and it was not there. This is a problem for me when making objects of specific size and mass I want.

I want the developers to add more mass and radius measurements so that users can use those measurements to create objects with specific measurements. The already existing planetary measurements are Moon, Earth, Jupiter, Sun and Galaxy.

Universe Sandbox 2 needs to have the following measurements for radius: They are, Pluto, Mercury, Mars, Venus, Neptune, Uranus and Saturn. For the galaxy radius, we need an IC 1101 measurement. Please also add those new measurements for the "Atmosphere Mass" in the temperature and climate mode tabs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:29:50 PM by Cesare »

Pizzaeater1K

Re: More Measurements for Mass and Radius
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 08:53:27 PM »
To fix your problem: find radius or mass of certain object. copy. paste in calculator. multiply by value you want, copy new value, paste into game.

We dont need a bunch of measurements, theres no point for having specific measurements for every notable body in our solar system. The ones we have are good enough.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 05:47:43 AM »
I think that its better to have more measurements for the mass and radius because there are not enough sizes for mass and radius in between Earths and Jupiters measurements. By adding more measurements for the mass and radius in Universe Sandbox 2 it will make it easier for users to calculate how large the mass and radius of objects can be more effectively.

For example, if I want to create a planet which has a mass of 2 Mars and a radius of 2 Neptunes, I would select the Mars measurement for the mass and type 2 in the cell. For the radius, I would select Neptune and type 2 in the cell. Adding these extra measurements would make it a lot easier and more accurate for users to select mass and radius which is in between. Also, to measure huge bodies in galaxies, we need to have an IC 1101 measurement for calculating how much the mass or radius of an object is. For example, how many Milky Ways is 1 IC 1101.

Please understand that all the measurements I have listed on this page are necessary and developers must add them to the list of measurements for the mass, radius and atmosphere mass in Universe Sandbox 2.

Pizzaeater1K

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »
Nobody uses mars masses or neptune masses. There is no point. Earth masses and jupiter masses work perfectly fine. These measurements are absolutely NOT needed. The developers do not need to add them. What exists works well. There is literally no (well known) space-stuff program that uses neptune masses. Measurements dont need to be that close together.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:12:23 PM »
You are wrong because Mars and Neptune mass and radius are quite far apart. Mars and Neptune have a huge difference in size radius and mass, so it is necessary for developers to add them.

Also for a galaxy measurement, having an IC 1101 measurement above the Milky Way measurement is also needed. There is a huge difference between measuring in Milky Ways and IC 1101s as you know, so, of course we need to have the IC 1101 measurement to measure mass and radius in millions of light years, and it makes sense to measure huge objects in millions of light years when creating objects so massive.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »
The units we have listed are what we believe are convenient and educational references for comparing values. It would be possible to add a unit for every object, but that would become quite overcrowded and we think it wouldn't be that helpful for the majority of users.

The list of units may change in the future, but right now we have no plans for adding units for the other planets.