Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Wrong radii for Pluto, Moon, Sun  (Read 5383 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
[BUG] Wrong radii for Pluto, Moon, Sun
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:54:57 AM »
When spawning a Sun, I have found out that it has the wrong radius. When making some quick research on Google, I have found out that its true radius is 695,508 km = 1.00 Sun radius.

In Universe Sandbox 2 there is a bit too much radius for the Sun. The Sun's radius in Universe Sandbox 2 is displayed as 702098 km = 1.01 Sun radius, which is wrong.

Please fix the correct radius of the Sun to its true value.

Below I have uploaded three images from Universe Sandbox 2 and a snapshot from Google search results to serve as proof that I am correct.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:03:55 AM by Cesare »

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
[BUG] Wrong radii for Pluto, Moon, Sun
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
Today I have done a quick search on Google and found out that Pluto has a radius of 1188 KM. That's Pluto's real radius.

However, in Universe Sandbox 2, when spawning a Pluto, the radius is 1186 KM. Pluto is 2 KM short.

Please fix the radius of Pluto in Universe Sandbox 2 to its true radius of 1188 KM that the Google search results give me.

Below I have uploaded two images as a proof to show you that I am correct.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
[BUG] Wrong radius of the Moon
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
Just now I made a quick search peek to find out the radius of the Moon and found out in the Google search results that it is 1737 KM radius.

When spawning the Moon in Universe Sandbox 2 it has a radius of 1738 KM, which is a little too big. That is 1 extra KM which should not be there. Please fix the radius of the Moon in Universe Sandbox 2 to its correct value of 1737 KM.

Below I have attached two images as proof that I am correct about the Moon's radius.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: [BUG] Wrong radii for Pluto, Moon, Sun
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
The issue of the Sun's radius starting at 1.01 is due to our stellar evolution code, which calculates these values. We should have this fixed once we're able to implement our new stellar evolution model.

The discrepancies with the radii for Pluto and the Moon are very small relatively, and I think if you look through some more results on Google you will see different values reported for these radii. For example, the Moon's radius on NASA's site here lists it as 1738 km: https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/moonfact.html. There are margins of error with these measurements, meaning they cannot be exactly right down to the kilometre.  :)

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
Re: [BUG] Wrong radii for Pluto, Moon, Sun
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 12:32:20 PM »
I understand what you mean but the small error in the Moon and Pluto must be fixed in Universe Sandbox 2 in upcoming updates. Please also check the radius of all the moons in our solar system to make sure that their radius are correct, as well as their mass and densities.

I also want to point out that there are quite a number of moons which are included in Universe Sandbox 2 which does not have any surface textures. Please add all the moon's textures. Also there are many moons which are missing from the list of moons and minor objects. Please add them all.

Today I have noticed that the rings of Neptune is missing from the "add rings" section. Please add the Neptunian ring type to the list of rings.

Thank you.