Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Betelgeuze shrinks  (Read 10017 times)

Andreas

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Betelgeuze shrinks
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:00:26 AM »
The giant Betelgeuze lost in the last 11 years 15% of its diameter. Astronomers don´t really know what that could mean.
Some think its periodic up and down, others think it could be the start of the final core collaps and an indicator for the soon coming supernova.

Another interesting fact is, how Betelgeuze lose matter. Evry year Betelgeuze lose as much matter as the mass of earth. Till yet scientists believed, that this is a constant process triggered from the strong solar wind.

But recently they discovered, that Betelgeuze lose matter in form of huge bubbles. That bubbles can grow bigger than the star itself.

http://www.astronews.com/news/artikel/2009/07/0907-041.shtml

monmarfori

Re: Betelgeuze shrinks
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:21:41 AM »
It will explode in the next thousand years.

FGFG

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:00:48 AM »
I just want like to see 1 supernova. They are 1 every 2 or 3 centuries (visible without telescopes). The light of that explosion will be bigger than the light of a whole galaxy, they will be visible both in the night and in the day (becoming the second object more visible in the sky after the sun). You can read in the night with the only light of it.

A supernova is generally visible for a few moths.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »
Yes, it would be cool if Betelgeuse went supernova! :)
I'd like to see that, and how it would look in the night. :)

FGFG

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:33:37 AM »
I'm sure it will be fantastic. The only problem would be the appearance of it in the other hemisphere.

Andreas

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:32:54 AM »
I'm sure it will be fantastic. The only problem would be the appearance of it in the other hemisphere.

what? In germany we can see Betelgeuze very good and i don´t care about the other Hemisphere :D

witold

• Sorry for my bad english (if he is)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »
when supernova explodes night will turn to day  8)

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
No, it wont turn into day. Betelgueze is too far from us... Or is it? But it wont turn into day.

FGFG

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
Any supernova in this galaxy will be less visible only of the Sun and the Moon (I was wrong before :-X).
It will be enough powerful to cast shadows in the night.

EDIT: The Crab Nebula: it formed from a supernova documented in Chinese documents of the 11th century
Here the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Nebula

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:12:49 AM by FGFG »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
I read in the Astronomy Magazine, if you look at it you will instantly go blinded. It is the light of the full moon into just one point in the sky.

Yes, it would be cool if Betelgeuse went supernova! :)
I'd like to see that, and how it would look in the night. :)

It'll be like Alaska! Yay! 24 hour "sunlight"... I should say light.
when supernova explodes night will turn to day  8)

You're gonna need those sunglasses! rofl!  ;D
No, it wont turn into day. Betelgueze is too far from us... Or is it? But it wont turn into day.

Daylight at night! Some kids (young) won't need their nightlight no more!

I just hope it explodes in my lifetime. 1987A? Pffft. 2009/010/011/012... AWESOME! I've gotta see that! The people after that'll be like "I wish I could have saw that".
The giant Betelgeuze lost in the last 11 years 15% of its diameter. Astronomers don´t really know what that could mean.
Some think its periodic up and down, others think it could be the start of the final core collaps and an indicator for the soon coming supernova.

Another interesting fact is, how Betelgeuze lose matter. Evry year Betelgeuze lose as much matter as the mass of earth. Till yet scientists believed, that this is a constant process triggered from the strong solar wind.

But recently they discovered, that Betelgeuze lose matter in form of huge bubbles. That bubbles can grow bigger than the star itself.

http://www.astronews.com/news/artikel/2009/07/0907-041.shtml

Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse!Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! Go core collapse! GO BETELGUESE! (a Ori)

FGFG

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »
Again, there won't be so much light. The only object that can create day on Earth is Sun.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »
It'll still be the best supernova since... EVER!  :P