4 (21.1%)
kol
2 (10.5%)
kolkon
3 (15.8%)
kolkop
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: NationStates Map/Roleplay  (Read 478044 times)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: NationStates Map/Roleplay
« Reply #1710 on: December 12, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144375'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:49:23 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1711 on: December 12, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »
Do you see why I think the configuration is extremely improbable?
I concede that it's improbable, but - let's draw a comparison with a TV show or movie. People might criticize it for being too opportunistic. If the unique circumstances or special people didn't happen, you wouldn't have a story.

There's a reason our planet has life on it. Otherwise there'd be no story. No nations to make. So we automatically (you could say magically) made it have humans. Humans because they're easy to relate to and probably the first thing you'd think of and assume. Then we added another species for variety.

There's no reason to think we shouldn't have another planet with life. If we can assume that there is at least one system out there in the universe, then well... this one is the one.

, it'd already be so much more technologicall advanced that there's really no point in mentioning tensions between us
Well we'd probably be scared as ****

FiahOwl

« Reply #1712 on: December 12, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144382'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:49:20 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #1713 on: December 13, 2014, 06:44:56 AM »
I concede that it's improbable, but - let's draw a comparison with a TV show or movie. People might criticize it for being too opportunistic. If the unique circumstances or special people didn't happen, you wouldn't have a story.
Again, I don't agree here. We'd still have an interesting story if we left out the other alien civ. We'd have a planet we could colonize, maybe fight over, or we could have contact with aliens from around other stars. Still plenty of options for interesting stories that are less improbable.

There's a reason our planet has life on it. Otherwise there'd be no story. No nations to make. So we automatically (you could say magically) made it have humans. Humans because they're easy to relate to and probably the first thing you'd think of and assume. Then we added another species for variety.
I don't think that's how we ended up with humans, basically everyone discussed the issue and most people wanted humans for their own reasons. As far as I can see from the discussions most people had simply designed their nations with human inhabitants in mind, and therefore we have humans. Note that I also pointed out how improbable it was and thought it was a bad idea but we decided to go with humans anyway.

The kind of solar system I'd like is one with roughly the same order of magnitude probability to exist as our solar system. At least we know something like that has occurred at least once in the universe, unlike if we square this probability that we're not really sure how small is and multiply it by a factor 10-7. I guess we'll just have to disagree here.

FiahOwl

« Reply #1714 on: December 13, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144389'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:49:17 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1715 on: December 13, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
I don't think we'll be fighting over any planet.
If we can decide to make another planet with an alien civ, we certainly can also make another planet we can fight over in its place.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1716 on: December 13, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
the problem with adding another planet with intelligent civilization is that it changes history very dramatically

FiahOwl

« Reply #1717 on: December 13, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144393'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:49:14 AM by FiahOwl »

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
« Reply #1718 on: December 13, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
About Universalis having humans we could use that old setting about "we descend from an alien human colony"

I agree with Bla on what he said about having two planets with two independent advanced civilizations in the same star system. It's (almost) statistically impossible.

But I love the idea of having intelligent alien life outside the orbits that surround our star. Maybe even some indication that saguans (or maybe humans) not appeared naturally on Universalis, or any other mean to explain why there are two intelligent races here and whatnot.

About the world war, I think that I'll write something down to make some background to include my nations. Most of the details of my nations are in terms of ideas, and I think you do not have access to my mind, kol.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1719 on: December 13, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »
Ogga Ogga: An early tribe in Blaist Blaland. The native ogga plant was its symbol.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1720 on: December 13, 2014, 11:03:25 AM »
reduplication cute

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1721 on: December 13, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
Again, I don't agree here. We'd still have an interesting story if we left out the other alien civ.
Yes, we'd still have an interesting story, but it was an explanation as to why the probabilities don't matter. There are an infinite number of solar systems, so we "picked" the one that we wanted to use. Not we got stuck with a random one to tell the story about.

basically everyone discussed the issue and most people wanted humans for their own reasons. As far as I can see from the discussions most people had simply designed their nations with human inhabitants in mind, and therefore we have humans.
Yes it was basically assumed they were humans from the start, then we had a discussion over it (much?) later, and most people didn't want to change it. At least I didn't. Had we decided more from the start I might have been much more accepting of having non-humans. But imo we fixed that with saguans.

reduplication cute
kolyes

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1722 on: December 13, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
Yes, we'd still have an interesting story, but it was an explanation as to why the probabilities don't matter. There are an infinite number of solar systems, so we "picked" the one that we wanted to use. Not we got stuck with a random one to tell the story about.
If there isn't an infinite number then the statistics certainly do matter.
How do you know there's an infinite number of solar systems in the universe?

Yes it was basically assumed they were humans from the start, then we had a discussion over it (much?) later, and most people didn't want to change it. At least I didn't. Had we decided more from the start I might have been much more accepting of having non-humans. But imo we fixed that with saguans.
This project didn't start out by us all sitting down and agreeing on a framework, everyone worked on different pieces at different times, we tried making official maps many times and just happened to stick with this one. It was in no way collectively assumed they were humans, it was just the assumption most people happened to make. For obvious reasons I didn't sit down and think thoroughly about what kind of life forms would inhabit other people's nations in the beginning of our 5th? or whatever number map project which happened to be what we stuck with.

Saguans in no way solve the problem I see with having humans on the map though: That humans are the result of the chaotic system of evolution, where all the past events in the history of life have resulted in how humans ended up being and where any different chain of events and coonditions would lead to different results. Some of them maybe similar results, but not identical. Anyway I accept we have humans now. I'm just hoping to save the project from ending up being even more millions of times less probable than it already is.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1723 on: December 13, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
If there isn't an infinite number then the statistics certainly do matter.
How do you know there's an infinite number of solar systems in the universe?

Doesn't matter if it's less probable than 1 per every solar system in the universe, the fact is, it can happen once. Just as 6 9's in a row are extremely unlikely in a random sequence, the fact that you can round pi down to 1000 decimal points and have all 6 of them illustrates the point. You'll get it eventually in an infinite number, but in that iteration, you just got them really soon. They made the arbitrary finite cut. They exist.

It was in no way collectively assumed they were humans, it was just the assumption most people happened to make.
Is that not the same thing?

If we all assumed we had humans, is that not a collective assumption?

I know we all didn't, but isn't 70% still a collective assumption? It's easily a majority. Most people assume it, and those who didn't were probably aware that others did.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1724 on: December 13, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
there aren't an infinite number of solar systems, but there is an incredibly high amount (like 10^20)

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1725 on: December 13, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
Doesn't matter if it's less probable than 1 per every solar system in the universe, the fact is, it can happen once. Just as 6 9's in a row are extremely unlikely in a random sequence, the fact that you can round pi down to 1000 decimal points and have all 6 of them illustrates the point. You'll get it eventually. In that iteration, you just got them really soon. They made the cut. They exist.
You never responded to how you knew there was an infinite number of planets, which your argument relies on.
If there's not an infinite number of planets, then the probability matters. If it's low enough multiplying it by the number of planets could get you a number that's orders of magnitude less than 1 and in that case it's very unlikely it'll exist in the universe.

I don't see how your pi example illustrates the point. Take any sequence that doesn't occur in the 1000 decimal points iteration instead of the 6 9's row. You didn't eventually get them. You'll only have a possibility to catch all possibilities if you have an infinite number of decimals but there's no evidence that an infinite number of planets exist.

Is that not the same thing?

If we all assumed we had humans, is that not a collective assumption?

I know we all didn't, but isn't 70% still a collective assumption? It's easily a majority. Most people assume it, and the others probably are aware of it.
From what I know collectively assuming something means that everyone in the collective assumes it. Collective doesn't mean "more than x%". Anyway I'm not bothered to spend time looking up semantics. I meant there wasn't consensus on the assumption. Look at the context of the sentence: It was meant to point out that we didn't all assume it after you said it was basically assumed from the start.
Yes it was basically assumed they were humans from the start, then we had a discussion over it (much?) later, and most people didn't want to change it.
I didn't assume it from the start that my inhabitants would be human.

there aren't an infinite number of solar systems, but there is an incredibly high amount (like 10^20)
Hm, if we accept that number and say the probability of an alien civ reaching space tech level develop on any given planet is 10-8 or less and use the time factor 10-7 the probability of finding the configuration would be roughly 1020-8-8-7 = 1/1000 or less in the universe. Even with this probability around 10,000 alien civs would come to exist in a galaxy like the Milky Way within the history of the universe, yet the configuration probably still wouldn't exist.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:07:24 PM by Bla »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1726 on: December 13, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
I don't see how your pi example illustrates the point. Take any sequence that doesn't occur in the 1000 decimal points iteration instead of the 6 9's row. You didn't eventually get them.
Because it doesn't matter. That's not the scenario we are concerned with. I don't know if the universe is infinite or not, but it's approximately close enough, to our understanding of the many solar system properties and possibilities that are available in hundreds of millions of galaxies.

It doesn't matter because, if it didn't show up, we just generate a new sequence where it does show up. Otherwise, we're just picking the system which doesn't have it, for no reason, when we could have it.

It was meant to point out that we didn't all assume it after you said it was basically assumed from the start.
Yes, so, it was basically assumed... as most people assumed it for themselves and potentially applied it to others, it just reaffirmed itself.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1727 on: December 13, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »
Because it doesn't matter. That's not the scenario we are concerned with. I don't know if the universe is infinite or not, but it's approximately close enough, to our understanding of the many solar system properties and possibilities that are available in hundreds of millions of galaxies.

It doesn't matter because, if it didn't show up, we just generate a new sequence where it does show up. Otherwise, we're just picking the system which doesn't have it, for no reason, when we could have it.
Anything finite isn't approximately infinite. Infinity is infinite times bigger. That makes a fundamental difference when applying statistics.
But since you're now saying statistics don't matter rather than arguing that it's actually likely, I'll just say that I do think statistics matter - there's no known mechanism like your re-rolling that ensures the existence of extremely improbable systems some people want towrite stories about, so it is still not any more realistic than before.

We could also just change the laws of physics or allow magic. It'd let us write some different stories.
I just don't think we should.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #1728 on: December 13, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
while i think we shouldn't have a near alien civ, i don't think statistics or probability matters.

universalis already has a sort of setting/storyline which parallels the development of human civilization on earth
the alien civilization radically changes the setting/storyline of universalis, particularly towards the modern age

i don't want this radical change.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1729 on: December 13, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
universalis already has a sort of setting/storyline which parallels the development of human civilization on earth
I don't mind this because it's realistic from what we know. Something like it has happened once at the very least. We just don't know what the probability of it happening is exactly, but it turned out something like it wasn't totally unrealistic to happen in the universe. If we square that and multiply by 1/10,000,000, it could easily not be the case.

(If that was a comment on the statistics part and not just linked to your reason for not to wanting the change)

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #1730 on: December 19, 2014, 04:33:15 AM »
...what

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #1731 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
ezdr ezdr ezdr ezdr ezdr

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1732 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
i'm not quite sure what's going on

flooding

trees turn to stumps

and then a dam to stop the flooding causes more flooding

things happen ezdr

and then aeridani into space?

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #1733 on: December 21, 2014, 06:31:38 AM »
and then a dam to stop the flooding causes more flooding

lmao

FiahOwl

« Reply #1734 on: December 21, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144821'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:47:53 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1735 on: December 21, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
wip

http://postimg.org/image/glb7mfit7/

dar I need nausikaa border and whether that tinny nation whatever nuedar farevar became existir

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #1736 on: December 22, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »

what do with this beautiful map at 3.3333333333... km per pixel resolution

FiahOwl

« Reply #1737 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144887'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:59:49 AM by FiahOwl »

FiahOwl

« Reply #1738 on: December 24, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144922'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:59:39 AM by FiahOwl »

FiahOwl

« Reply #1739 on: December 25, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144933'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:59:35 AM by FiahOwl »