Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Topsy Turvy Orbit  (Read 5088 times)

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
Topsy Turvy Orbit
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
Hey Guys.

I recently made my own solar system on universe sandbox. But for some reason one of the planets which is on the outskirts of the system keeps changing it's orb per, I have a planet  that is further away from it's star then the problem one is but it's orb per stays the same.

Any idea's guys?

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: Topsy Turvy Orbit
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
Can you upload the system?

mrt127

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
sure, here

It could be my computer though.

mrt127

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
A word of notice the planet is called Natune

smjjames

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »
For one, you have it 6527 AU out, many times further than the furthest dwarf planet in our system, and uh, why do you have something 46 light years away?

Edit: It seems to be a case of so far away that the gravity is feeble. I moved it 10X closer to 427 AU SMA, which stabilized the orbit somewhat while the perigee and the node still swung around. I changed the inclination to something above such a tiny fraction (2.70 in this case), which dampened the orbit out. There is some wobble in the orbit with the peri and node, but I think that may be coming from the wobble of the whole system.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:21:03 PM by smjjames »

mrt127

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »
You know there are billions of stars and many of them have there own systems, who knows how strange there's are. Plus the reason is I just wanted to make a unique solar system,  :)

smjjames

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »
I know, it's just that the one in the 1,400 million year orbit wouldn't stay in there for very long. The one that is 6.5k AU out is fine since the Oort cloud lies even further out.

Anyways, it looks like its a case of you having the planet so far out. Also, given that you have a neptune mass planet close in, I observed the wobble and it's in tune (more or less, there was some buffering from the other planets) with that planets orbit. So what you are seeing is in fact, an effect of the stars wobble, plus the very long orbit period seems to magnify the effect. Not sure why a bigger inclination dampens it though, unless you maybe had it set on zero inclination.

mrt127

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the information I will try to adjust it now. Again Thanks!  :)