Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mercury, Venus, and Mars flies away from the Sun  (Read 5468 times)

jahaynes

Mercury, Venus, and Mars flies away from the Sun
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:19:55 PM »
I was curious if our solar system would look different in a few billion years, but I found in a few thousand years the inner planets are thrown into the coldness of the void. I'm not an astrophysicist but I'm confident this will not happen  ;D

Does increasing the frame speed dramatically cause the physics to misbehave?

smjjames

Re: Mercury, Venus, and Mars flies away from the Sun
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »
I was curious if our solar system would look different in a few billion years, but I found in a few thousand years the inner planets are thrown into the coldness of the void. I'm not an astrophysicist but I'm confident this will not happen  ;D

Yep, if you set the frame speed too high, the orbits will become unstable. Also, the position of the planets won't look any different (unless we, or some other species, mess with the orbits), but the sun will be brighter and on its way towards becoming a red giant.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
The reason this happens is because the time step is how often gravity is calculated, so of course a very high time step is far more unstable.

bedan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:03:54 AM »

Yep, if you set the frame speed too high, the orbits will become unstable. Also, the position of the planets won't look any different (unless we, or some other species, mess with the orbits), but the sun will be brighter and on its way towards becoming a red giant.

Nope, the reason for this happening is that the simulation actually simulates a malevolent extraterrestrial species wreaking havoc on our solar system in a few million years.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »
Yes bedan, you are correct.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »

This is one of the most common questions about Universe Sandbox. We'll be adding better feedback to explain this when you crank up the time step and everything flies apart unexpectedly.