Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help! :D  (Read 24884 times)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: Help! :D
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 05:28:44 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54273'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:10:02 AM by FiahOwl »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 05:45:35 AM »
No your heavy sheilding would not be viable, even a micro meteroid the weight of a mosquito (1 miligram) would create an explosion equivalent to 120 tons of tnt. (at 0.99C). ouch.

using targeted gravity beams or maybe proton beams to disintegrate or move particles out of the way would work.

FiahOwl

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 05:46:37 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54276'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:09:57 AM by FiahOwl »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:41 AM »
yeah until you hit a rocky micrometeoroid. ouch.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 07:11:41 AM »
You're not listening at all... They don't HAVE magnetic shielding, targeted gravity beams, proton beams, or any kind of energy manipulating technology. At all. They're really not all that much more advanced when we are right now, and in the field of "lasers" they have nothing. Not even as much as we do.

matty406

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »
Guys this isn't star wars, what he wants is some plausible technology.
I'm not completely sure about this, but i know that armour on military vehicles is angled to increase the depth of armour projectiles have to pass through, they also have more chance to ricochet.

My reasoning is, will this work with debris in space? Also, it doesn't have to be 100% hard science does it?

Ravenshaw

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 07:46:46 AM »
I want it to be as much science as possible, which is a pain cause I'm an idiot when it comes to science. And I never thought about that. Huh. That's a great idea, if it would work. And thanks for noticing that I wanted plausible. Appreciate it! I really don't want much technology beyond what we have now. In my alternate history, they put way a lot of money into both weapons research and development and space travel, but they kept it as practical as possible. None of this DARPA Iron Curtains or any of that crazy stuff.

matty406

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 08:08:37 AM »
I'm not so knowlageable about science either, a few things here and there but nothing complete. ;)

FiahOwl

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54287'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:09:55 AM by FiahOwl »

Ravenshaw

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
Okay. I don't exactly need them to be spread out, really.

FiahOwl

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '54291'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:09:53 AM by FiahOwl »

Ravenshaw

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
Would we be able to set up "borders" for each solar system? Like, political ones? Not necessarily in the simulation, just would the systems be arranged so that each one of the four systems can be clearly marked, say, maybe some kind of signal buoy, or something? Like, they're not merged together in any way?

Ravenshaw

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
And by the way, I should note that these ships are generation ships. It's going to take them roughly 400 years (shipboard) travel to reach these planets. not sure if that's important or not.

smjjames

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »
Guys this isn't star wars, what he wants is some plausible technology.
I'm not completely sure about this, but i know that armour on military vehicles is angled to increase the depth of armour projectiles have to pass through, they also have more chance to ricochet.

My reasoning is, will this work with debris in space? Also, it doesn't have to be 100% hard science does it?

Could work. Alternatively you could put a huge ablation shield in the front since its from that direction that the dust and particles would be a problem. At slower speeds (such as orbital speeds), thick armor will do the job.

smjjames

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
And by the way, I should note that these ships are generation ships. It's going to take them roughly 400 years (shipboard) travel to reach these planets. not sure if that's important or not.

Yes its important because you just changed the timescale and distance, two months travel time does not make a generation ship.

Not to mention we may or may not have to account for time dilation.....

Ravenshaw

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
Question. Would a EuPelagic Subtype planet be capable of supporting humans? And they're not really going to be going at slower speeds:( They're going to go from Earth to these planets, then land, crash, or find a way to get down to the planets surface. Is that plausible? Ships that large being able to land?

No kidding. The ships we're discussing right now will be traveling for 400 or so years shipboard time. Last time I counted, that's at least four generations. What the two month thing is for is the systems these ships are going to. They're going to get there, then land, but there's going to be smaller ships zipping back and forth between the four newly colonized planets. Trade and crap like that.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
And time dilation won't matter, as Earth isn't going to be in the picture.

Or at least it won't matter as much. Only smaller amounts, due to the travel between systems.

smjjames

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Oh I see. Let me see if I got this right, the ship will have been travelling 400 years and arrive at the quadriple star system and it takes about two months to get from one star to another.

You DON"T want to try landing a ship that large on a planet, believe me. You can just have various bays with landing craft to shuttle colonists and supplies to and from the planet, the ship is big so you could have LOTS of them.

Also, you'll have to explain what you mean by EuPelagic subtype.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
That's about the size of it.

Well yeah, but.. That's a LOT of metal. In the ship, I mean. It's a lot of resources the colonists could really use. So, despite the nightmare of planning I'm sure it would be, would it be possible to land a ship that big on a planet?

smjjames

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:52 AM »
True. Heres an idea, you could have the ship be modular, with sections that can detach and have planetary landing capability somehow.

As for landing a ship that big on a planet, that is going to require technologies that don't even exist right now.

Maybe you can give us an idea of what the ship looks like? We already get that its huge, but what are the general dimensions.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »
http://arcbuilder.home.bresnan.net/PCLMaster.html

It's a list of planet types and stuff. (it's where I got the EuPelagic subtype thing.)

And as for dimensions? I really don't know. It houses 2.5 million people (that number is constantly fluctuating, by the way) comfortably, if that's any help. I'm not very good with dimensions:/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:20:50 AM by Ravenshaw »

smjjames

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
As for the EuPelagic subtype, if there is no land, your colonists can't land on it, unless you want underwater cities.

For the ship, it depends on how cramped you want it to be. Around 10-20 km long and several km in diameter maybe? It's going to have to be the size of a city thats for sure.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
ice. metal is expensive. ice is plentiful and cheap. saltwater ice, fresh water ice, it doesn't matter. use ice. as ablative armor

Ravenshaw

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
I don't want it to be cramped. I want it to be fairly comfortable. More of the feeling of a space station than a ship. And ice? Hmm... That would work. Where would we find such quantities though?

Ravenshaw

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
Hmm... There's no land? Dang. See, remember your idea about modular ships? They're going to be like that. There's going to be a mini-colony that breaks off at one of the planets. Ummm.... I don't know. My brain hurts! :P

smjjames

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
I don't want it to be cramped. I want it to be fairly comfortable. More of the feeling of a space station than a ship. And ice? Hmm... That would work. Where would we find such quantities though?

Comets maybe? Such a ship would take a long time to build, stock, and populate anyway. As for the dimensions, just go with what would make sense to you.

For the planet, if you just want one with lots of water, a GaianPelagic subdivision will work. The ship is carrying 2.5 million, not 2 billion, so overpopulation won't be an issue on initial planetfall.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »
Well see, the reason I want a watery planet with small land masses is more of a plot point than a science thing. somewhere in their destination solar system, they discover a planet like that, and a small fraction, maybe 100,000 or so, decide they want to stay rather than continuing on to the destination planet. Oooh... Ouch. Just had a thought which may screw that up. Is it possible to have multiple habitable planets orbiting the same star?

smjjames

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
Depends on how you define habitable. If you have it broad enough to equal mars, then yes definetly, if you mean life supporting, it's a little harder, but still very possible. Either way, that's a yes, you'd have at most three, maybe four, inside the habitable zone. Had Mars not lost it's magnetic field, life would certainly have evolved there.

Take this system I uploaded as an example. One is probably comparable to Earth in an extreme ice age. The average temp is cold, but still above freezing and is survivable with adaptations, the other one goes through a more extreme temperature change, but is still certainly capable of supporting life.

For the planet, GaianPelagic is what you want, 80-99% covered by water. Think Earth with all the ice caps melted, and perhaps then some.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
Oh. Okay!

On a totally unrelated note, FiahOwl, would it be alright if I used Aeridani Space Industry as the company that makes the engines for the ships in the stories?

Ravenshaw

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Which ones are the habitable ones?