Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Screenshot of Universe Sandbox 3  (Read 61082 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
First Screenshot of Universe Sandbox 3
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
This is a first look at one of the many graphical improvements in the the major update due out later this year for both Windows and Mac. This is a full rewrite of Universe Sandbox in a new 3D engine.

This will be a free update to everyone who has ever purchased Universe Sandbox through this website or on Steam.

The controls and icons are all temporary and will change dramatically in the next few months.

More updates coming in a few weeks...

Thanks again to all the hard work of Chris & Georg at IonStar in Solingen, Germany. They're helping make all this possible.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:07:47 PM by Dan Dixon »

smjjames

Re: First Screenshot of Universe Sandbox 3
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
Is that gravitational distortion? cool.

Also, whats with the money icon? or is that just for those who haven't bought it yet?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
Is that gravitational distortion? cool.
Yes. It's an early pass at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens
(and an improved grid)

Also, whats with the money icon? or is that just for those who haven't bought it yet?
That's funny... :) The icons are totally arbitrary and temporary. The dollar sign actually shows the options. There's nothing to read into the screenshot from the icons.

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:20:17 PM »
I would suggest using a different icon for the options, maybe the gear icon? Perhaps a simple solar system for the simulations button?

A thought, would the simulations we have be compatible with Universe Sandbox 3 or will we have to start from scratch, or at least rebuild from scratch?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »
Oh yeah... This is a total work-in-progress. None of those icons will be in the final release.

And the plan is to support reading the v2 file format.

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »
Looks pretty nice, especially the black hole. What other stuff are in the test build, if they are in?

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:15 PM »
WOOT!!! :o :o :o

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
In my opinion, it looks... ehhh..., but I assume there will be further major changes in the UI before it is released, so...

smjjames

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »
Um hey, I just noticed the 'use squid' text overlaying the FPS bar, what's that?

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »
In my opinion, it looks... ehhh..., but I assume there will be further major changes in the UI before it is released, so...

Just ignore all UI for now. We're only trying different layouts and nothing you see is final.
All icons and fonts are placeholders right now.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
Wow. NICE WORK!

FiahOwl

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »

Just ignore all UI for now. We're only trying different layouts and nothing you see is final.

Welcome to the forums Chris!

Um hey, I just noticed the 'use squid' text overlaying the FPS bar, what's that?

Mmm.. Dunno, but it made my day.

We Must Use!

smjjames

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »

Welcome to the forums :)

FiahOwl

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
This is a first look at one of the many graphical improvements in the the major update due out later this year for both Windows and Mac. This is a full rewrite of Universe Sandbox in a new 3D engine.

This will be a free update to everyone who has ever purchased Universe Sandbox through this website or on Steam.

The controls and icons are all temporary and will change dramatically in the next few months.

More updates coming in a few weeks...

Thanks again to all the hard work of Chris & Georg at IonStar in Solingen, Germany. They're helping make all this possible.

I like the new way time is displayed.

ShoeUnited

• Non opus est, si pretium non habetis.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »
This is a full rewrite of Universe Sandbox in a new 3D engine.

I do not have a reaction image to properly illustrate my jaw hitting the floor.  Thank you so much for your work, sir.

Kepler-22b

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
WoW! Ein deutsches Entwicklerteam. Ich hab mal eure Webseite (www.ionstar.org) besucht um euch etwas näher kennenzulernen. Ihr 3 seid ja alle C# Spezialisten, und da ich in diese Sprache auch schon mal reingeschnuppert habe, weis ich wie nervenaufreibend das programmieren sein kann. Ihr habt mir jetzt den Anstoss gegeben weiter an meinen Fähigkeiten zu arbeiten und endlich C# bzw. C++ und Englisch zu lernen.

Ich wünsche euch viel Spass und viel Erfolg beim programmieren, aber klebt eure Tastaturen am Schreibtisch fest. Das wird immer sehr teuer. ;)

Ausraster vorm Pc

PS: Der Linseneffekt ist euch schon mal sehr gelungen und freu mich schon auf weitere Screenshots.

Edit by Dan - Adding the text above in English via Google Translate

Wow! A German team of developers. I once your website (www.ionstar.org) visits to get to know you a little. Your 3're all C # experts, and as I have in that language as purely sniffed before, I know how nerve wracking that can be programmed. You have now given me the impetus to continue working on my skills and finally C # or C + + and learn English.

I wish you much fun programming and much success with, but sticks firmly on your desktop keyboards. It is always very expensive.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:09:34 PM by Dan Dixon »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 07:28:16 AM »
That is an epic light distortion effect. :)

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »
A thought, would the simulations we have be compatible with Universe Sandbox 3 or will we have to start from scratch, or at least rebuild from scratch?

We intend to support old system formats.
However, we're also aiming to improve UniverseSandbox in such a way that it will be easier and more fun to create systems in the application instead of having to edit XML manually.

smjjames

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 09:48:44 AM »

We intend to support old system formats.
However, we're also aiming to improve UniverseSandbox in such a way that it will be easier and more fun to create systems in the application instead of having to edit XML manually.

I wouldn't be the only one who would want to keep simulations that we have now that we made, so I was just wondering if it would be relatively easy to make the conversion.

@miros: You mean look at, but videos to watch would be awesome, especially when showing the collisions since stills won't do justice. The new collision system is probably the most exciting thing (if not the top 5) for all of us.

@Kepler: English please will ya? Although that post seems to be aimed at the guys over at IonStar and I get the gist of it anyway.

Kepler-22b

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
@Kepler: English please will ya? Although that post seems to be aimed at the guys over at IonStar and I get the gist of it anyway.

I just said, that the guys are a great team and that i know how difficult programming is. I wished them good luck and fun and made ​​a joke.

smjjames

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
Now I get what the 'insert squid' refers to, it's their SDK GUI, program, not exactly sure what it's suppoused to be.

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
Now I get what the 'insert squid' refers to, it's their SDK GUI, program, not exactly sure what it's suppoused to be.

Squid is our user interface programming framework for realtime applications.
When you check the credits sections of your current UniverseSandbox installation, you'll see that
it already uses Squid.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
cool distortion; does it affect labels and trails, that might be bothersome. maybe an option to switch it on and off.

dhm794

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »
My response:

M. Bison "Yes Yes!" Widescreen HD reupload

Only concern is how advanced the new engine will be.  What if I can't play it anymore?  Will I be able to use the old version?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 02:12:42 PM »

No worries... We're aiming to make the UI better than the current version.

Only concern is how advanced the new engine will be.  What if I can't play it anymore?  Will I be able to use the old version?

No worries. If you can play the v2, you'll be able to run v3. In fact, it's possible people that can't run v2 may be able to run v3 (although not all of the effects may work on older video cards).

smjjames

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »
What about multithreading? That's probably pretty high on the wishlist. Although I've heard that doing multithreading can be tricky because if you have multithreading for windows 7 64 bit, those running 32 bit won't be able to run it or at least not be able to use multithreading. I know nothing about how multithreading is applied, so maybe it is possible to have multithreading for all.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »
The engine we're using, http://unity3d.com/, has just released a new version with multithreaded rendering and we already have the core computation working on multiple threads.

So no worries... that feature is already in and working.

Kepler-22b

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
The engine we're using, http://unity3d.com/.
That answered my question.  :-*

Hmmmmmmm!

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses (1500$)

vs.

http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/order8.php (900$)

Edit:

I think unity3 has a better Workflow and is a bit more pro.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:14:08 PM by Kepler-22b »

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:30:49 PM by phinehas »

smjjames

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
Uh, the update is free for everybody, Dan said so himself.