Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A possible solution.  (Read 7422 times)

ShoeUnited

• Non opus est, si pretium non habetis.
A possible solution.
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:57 AM »
Using an Intel Dual Core laptop with Intel GMA graphics driver.  Using Steam service to run, both in Windows XP and Windows8.

Symptom: Crashes on startup after seeing the load icon.  Crashes on startup without seeing anything.

Solution: Immediately try to restart.  On the crash log screen close the window with the close [X] button.  Restart again, you will be given an option to start normally or start simulation.  Start a simulation.  It will work after that.  Subsequent restarts will load up normally.

Hope this helps someone. :D

worstbull

Re: A possible solution.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:15:09 AM »
That didn't do it for me.
The crash log screen doesn't even have a close button for me.

ShoeUnited

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:27:59 AM »
Well, I may have missed something.  Having to reinstall anyway, this time I'll record while doing it and see if that'll help. :)

Edit:  Reinstall due to messing with system32.dll.  Had to use system restore and forgot to make a point between everything setup and messing with .dll files. Lost steam in the restore. hehe

Edit 2:  Well darn.  I had it recording, but twitch.tv didn't get my video.  And now I can't get it to crash.  Even dumping steam and bringing it back won't (un)fix it.

But here are the steps I did:  

Go through setup.  On first play through, it'll state the window is not responding.  The crash dialog will come up.  Instead of sending an error report close the Error Report & email window.  This will close all associated windows.  

Start it up again and wait for it a little bit.  Eventually a dialog window will come up asking if you wish to (buttons) Start Simulation | Start Normally.  

Pick: Start Simulation.   Starting up is now fixed.  Go into config (upper right circle with 3 dots), choose exit.  

It will crash on exit, choose not to send an error report by closing it like before.  Now exiting won't crash anymore in the future.  Alternatively, you may close these by opening task manager and killing the process.

Choosing "Start Normally" or sending in Error Reports causes these alternate dialogs to not show up and causes the next sequence to crash the next time you run the program.  I don't know why, but those are the results I got.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:31:39 AM by ShoeUnited »

worstbull

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:31:58 AM »
Go through setup.  On first play through, it'll state the window is not responding.  The crash dialog will come up.  Instead of sending an error report close the Error Report & email window.  This will close all associated windows. 

Start it up again and wait for it a little bit.  Eventually a dialog window will come up asking if you wish to (buttons) Start Simulation | Start Normally.   

Pick: Start Simulation.   Starting up is now fixed.  Go into config (upper right circle with 3 dots), choose exit. 
At this point there is no 'Start Simulation', it's always the same 'report error' dialog.

ShoeUnited

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »
Go through setup.  On first play through, it'll state the window is not responding.  The crash dialog will come up.  Instead of sending an error report close the Error Report & email window.  This will close all associated windows. 

Start it up again and wait for it a little bit.  Eventually a dialog window will come up asking if you wish to (buttons) Start Simulation | Start Normally.   

Pick: Start Simulation.   Starting up is now fixed.  Go into config (upper right circle with 3 dots), choose exit. 
At this point there is no 'Start Simulation', it's always the same 'report error' dialog.

Well, darn.  Which OS are you using?

worstbull

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:14:37 AM »

ShoeUnited

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:19:08 AM »
Windows XP Prof. SP 3 (x86)

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,5423.0.html

I have a zany idea that I forgot about that may work.  But you might not like the method.

I had completely uninstalled (essentially) all .Net and VC redist when I first installed windows here and when I had to recover from an image (due to me playing with a .dll file).

The first thing I did both times was install xsplit video recorder.  The two things this requires is .Net 3.5.1 and Flash Player > 10.3

When I think about it, the second time I installed US I kinda was running both at the same time and the .Net installer actually crashed with an error code.  So I killed the install of US and xsplit, restarted xsplit, installed .Net 3.5 and then went to install US.  Which then didn't even ask for .Net to install.

I wonder if it's US or Steam that is installing that wrong and xsplit installing that 'right'.  It clearly either VB or .Net related seeing as how nobody with your error code has the same setup.  It's a shot in the dark, but that'd be my guess.

worstbull

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
I've uninstalled and reinstalled .NET and all redistributables completely.
I ran out of any ideas - I'll wait what the developers got to say... I'm not doing anything until I got a statement anyways. I've wasted almost a whole day on that issue.

ShoeUnited

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 08:26:26 AM »
I'm sorry it's not working for you and that what has worked for me hasn't.   :'(  I wish it would.