Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help! Problem with Universe Sandbox  (Read 5900 times)

lolt64

Help! Problem with Universe Sandbox
« on: January 01, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »
Hi, I just bought Universe Sandbox from Steam and it has lots of problems starting up and I haven't been able to play at all because it crashes at the main menu or while loading. I tried several things from your list of possible solutions but none have worked. Whenever I boot it up, it takes forever and usually crashes at the main meu or while loading. Just a minute or two ago, I managed to experience the smoothly working eye-candy menu, and tried to make it full-screen before I started playing, but it instantly froze and crashed.

If it helps, I have Windows 7 and a DirectX 11 graphics card.

If you can help, it would mean the universe to me. (Literally, lol)

Thanks in advance!  :D

lolt64

Help! Problem with Universe Sandbox
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
You see, I just bought Universe Sandbox about 5 or so hours ago from Steam, and have had many problems getting it to load without crashing or freezing. It would take long times to load, (up to 20 minutes) and would crash in the middle of loading or freeze and crash just as it would get to the main menu.

I don't think that is the problem as of now, though. I got it work and honestly the main menu was very pretty and was like eye-candy. I loaded the tutorial and am currently playing that right now, but there is one major problem. Many things are just 2D squares rather than planetary spheres. All planets and asteroids, and pretty much anything that isn't a star, is just plain invisible. So far it does not look anything like the spiffy trailer, and is, for me, many colored squares arranged to look like galaxies and solar systems.

If it helps, I have Windows 7 and a DirectX 11 graphics card. I hope you can help!

(In the attatched pic, the brown/beige trail is that of one of Saturn's moons, but it is invisible, and the yellow circle in the background is actually the outline of an invisible Saturn.)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Help! Problem with Universe Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
Is this the screenshot in question?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/lolt64/screenshot/651001246775492484

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Is your graphics driver up to date?

lolt64

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
1. Yes, it is. Whoopsy poopsy, I probably clicked the wrong thing when attatching the pic...
2. Yes, twice now
3. Is a graphics driver also known as a graphics card or a video driver? (Please excuse my computer illiteracy XD) Because I know I have a DirectX 11 graphics card. I just checked Steam and it said my video driver is out of date...Could this be the cause of the invisible and square things? If so, what might I be able to do about it?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
Yeah... you should try to update your video drivers. What kind of card do you have Nvidia or ATI?

lolt64

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
That worked! Thank you so much! I am enjoying the game as we speak. Very nice work!