Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eclipses, Shadows and custom asteriod belts/spheres!  (Read 4073 times)

JayPix2012

Eclipses, Shadows and custom asteriod belts/spheres!
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
It would be cool to see Solar Eclipses from moons, planets and rings casting a shadow line the planet, moon or whatever it orbiting.  Also what about a asteroid belt/sphere tool so that we can make our own asteroid belts around stars, planets or moons and a sphere option to make a oort cloud around stars and a sphere of asteroid around planets and moons. I think that that would be very cool to add to UBox3. It's just an Idea so what do you guys think about it? ;D   

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
Re: Eclipses, Shadows and custom asteriod belts/spheres!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
Well, let's just calm down and give 'em some time, I'm sure than the Giant Army will come with a very good surprise to us!

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »
Or use the same concept of making an Oort Cloud by making a giant body and turning it to dust. :)

swonx

• vore me donald
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »
It would be cool to see Solar Eclipses from moons, planets and rings casting a shadow line the planet, moon or whatever it orbiting.  Also what about a asteroid belt/sphere tool so that we can make our own asteroid belts around stars, planets or moons and a sphere option to make a oort cloud around stars and a sphere of asteroid around planets and moons. I think that that would be very cool to add to UBox3. It's just an Idea so what do you guys think about it? ;D   
Well in Ubox2 you can already make asteroid belts, by putting rings around a star

JayPix2012

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
Well in Ubox2 you can already make asteroid belts, by putting rings around a star
Yeah only a flat disc of dust. There is only limited customization of the size of the rings.

JayPix2012

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
I want more options.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
I hear ya.

It's talking a long time to duplicate the core feature of Universe Sandbox in the full rewrite, but once this is done we can finally start working on new features (like asteroid belts).

That said... shadows. Turns out shadows are complicated, but we've got a simple first pass of shadows working in the latest build and they're awesome. Nods to Georg who wrote the shadow code.

(and don't make a new post, "modify" the previous post if you want to add another comment)