Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moon randomly stops and explodes.  (Read 3649 times)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Moon randomly stops and explodes.
« on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »
I have dust, impact marks, and trails disabled here. Anyone know whats happening?'

Universe Sandbox Glitch

smjjames

Re: Moon randomly stops and explodes.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
Wierd o.O , looks like a variant of the glitch where an object that you exploded freezes in place and loses velocity. I haven't experienced the glitch I mentioned, but I've seen it mentioned a few times around here.

The wierd part is that the moon was already exploded.

Also, did the timestep suddenly change? It didn't look like it, but just asking as you hid the interface.

Using iPhone ATM, but when I get back home, I'll see if I can reproduce the glitch. Maybe observe a sudden velocity change.

Oh yea, when I was messing around with exploding earth in bounce mode, I tried to set the velocity to zero, but it just ended up with everything launching and forming a cube shaped cloud. Not sure if that is related, although I think what I observed was more like a rubber band snapping, to use the analogy.

Edit: how many pieces did you explode the moon into? It might not matter, but I'm asking for the purposes of reproducing it. Unless you've got a save available.

Edit2: I think I've figured it out, you have your timestep too high. It could be a glitch involving the timestep and auto because when I put it on auto and have it in the green, it worked fine, but when I put it over to red, I saw what you saw, however your accuracy/speed indicator shows as green.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:02:18 PM by smjjames »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
"Wierd o.O , looks like a variant of the glitch where an object that you exploded freezes in place and loses velocity. I haven't experienced the glitch I mentioned, but I've seen it mentioned a few times around here."

Yes! I had this when i was trying to simulate Roche Limit.

And no, its set to auto timestep.

i set it to 13 pieces. The explode number is kinda buggy, it always explodes into several more for me.

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »
Although I had a pseudo version of this when I was trying to simulate what you had, when I moved the timestep up, the already exploded moon ripped itself apart. I didn't see it freeze in place, but the simulation did pause while it was ripping apart the moon, and I could see the larger bits 'deforming' off.

I was using 50 for my test, but I'll check it with the default number. Anyways, yea, the explode adds several more, if its 500, it can add up to 200 more.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »
一酸化炭素中毒 をん出 w波 一酸化炭素中毒 はっぺ人 ウィーク ティー.おす, 安全に かわいそうだな ようにレア w派 い?