Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Multiple asteriod belts  (Read 7180 times)

Thot

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Multiple asteriod belts
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:46:31 AM »
Hey friends,
I started a system and also made an asteroid belt for it like this:

Code: [Select]
<Action>belt=smamin: 2.8 AU, smamax: 6.4 AU, count:500</Action>
That works fine (great work Dan!) but how do I add another asteroid Belt? I've already tried writing another "belt=" command divided by a semicola( ; ) and also tried making a different <Action> Tag. Nothing worked.
Can you help me?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Multiple asteriod belts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
Currently there's no support for adding multiple asteroid belts to the same object in the XML files. And I can't come up with a decent work around:

You can add a 2nd body at the same location as the 1st and give that a belt. When the simulation is loaded it checks for overlaps and combines any overlapping bodies together. starts the two bodies will combine into one, but the belts will only have been given the correct velocity to orbit the original bodies and won't correctly orbit the single, combined body. You could then select Orbit All to correct this, but it only works satisfactorily for some situations.

In the next version you'll be able to add multiple belts without having to edit XML files.

Thot

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Re: Multiple asteriod belts
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:29:01 AM »
Thanks for your answer, Dan. I gonna try this out, and I am really looking forward to the next version. Keep up the go(o)d work! ;D