Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I finally got my new video card.  (Read 10493 times)

linkuniverse22

I finally got my new video card.
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:04 PM »
After getting it all setup I was able to open universe sandbox, but when I did all I saw was a big universe that you can move around with your mouse.  I eventually found an invisible link to click on and when I clicked on it two spheres came onto the screen and were attracted to each other.  When I try to put my mouse over one of these spheres a bunch of green lines appeared in the top-left corner of my screen.  Can someone tell me whats going on?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: I finally got my new video card.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
That's no good. Sorry it's still not working.

Try hitting F1 to open the main menu and F5 to refresh the menu (since it doesn't seem to be coming up).

It would also be worth uninstalling Universe Sandbox and then reinstalling it.

Sending me your log files again might also shed some light on what's going on.

Thanks for sticking in there.

linkuniverse22

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »
I sent my log files again, hopefully they will help. ???

WhiteZero

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:12:20 AM »
Can we ask what your new video card is?
Might be a driver issue if it's a very new card, make sure to update your drivers from the manufactures website (ATi, nVidia, etc).

linkuniverse22

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
Here's a link to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131014

It may not be the best, but it was an upgrade for my computer, also I got the drivers off the website, (or my cousin did since he's the one who set it up).

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »
That card should be fine. I sent you an email asking for you to send me a screen shot. It's possible this will be very helpful in tracking down the problem.

linkuniverse22

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »
Sorry, I've been a little busy with school lately so that's why I haven't replied.  Anyway, how do you take screen shots again? ???

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »
No problem...

Please send me a screenshot of what Universe Sandbox looks like to you with invisible menus?

Once Universe Sandbox is running and the problem is visible (or not visible in this case):
Press Ctrl+F12 to take a screenshot with the UI. It should say "Screenshot with UI Saved"

You can find the screenshot in: My Documents\Universe Sandbox\Images

I'm sorry you're having this problem. Thanks for sticking in there and helping to track down this issue.

linkuniverse22

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
I've sent you an e-mail with some pictures attached.  Please reply in this topic since my e-mail account is acting weird.  Thanks!  :)

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »
Thanks again for the screenshots. They were more helpful than the screenshots might have appeared.

One additional thing that would be useful is to send me your log files after entering 'verbose' mode (it's a special mode that writes additional information to the log files for debugging purposes:

1 - Launch Universe Sandbox from the shortcut or start menu. Then as it is loading: press and hold the Control (Ctrl) key down. Don't release the control key until you see the dialog telling you that you're now in "Verbose Mode". If you see the Menu (or the white panel since the menu isn't working correctly) and haven't seen the Verbose message then it didn't work (please try again).

2 - With the white panel on the right side of the screen press the F5 key to refresh the menu (that might make the menu appear after a few attempts). Also try moving the mouse around over the white panel and clicking when you see a hand icon to force other pages to try to load.

3 - Now find the log files in <My Documents\Universe Sandbox\Logs> and email them to me. Mentioning again that you saw the white boxes.

Thanks again for your patience and help with this issue.

linkuniverse22

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
Thanks.  I went into verbose mode and did a bunch of things, (described in my e-mail because I'm lazy and don't want to type it twice), the log files are attached.  Hopefully it helps.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »
Awesome. Got the files, very helpful.

And just to be clear... From the session that created these files... You saw the white box and never actually saw the menu? Right?

linkuniverse22

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
Well, when I clicked to open universe sandbox and held the control key down a box popped up that said you are in verbose mode (this was after the third try).  I clicked OK and it took me to the screen that I always see, just like the one in the screen shots I sent you.  I didn't see a white box in place of the menu if that's what your asking.