Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Future support for fluid dynamics?  (Read 4075 times)

Baleur

Future support for fluid dynamics?
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »
I know, i know  ;D Its crazy hard to do that in a 3d space, with current cpu's and gpu's as far as i know.
But i was just playing around with one of the Spore prototypes, Gaslight. --> http://www.spore.com/comm/prototypes

It has real-time simulations of gases compressing, forming stars, all stars gravitating towards eachother (and acting upon the gas itself), eventually going supernova and blowing apart the gas around that star, compressing it plus heating it up, resulting in more starformation......... ETC  :o

Now, i understand this is fairly "easy" to accomplish in 2d, just 2 axis on which the attraction/compression data needs to be checked and calculated.
However i just have to ask if it is possible to do this in Universe Sandbox, sometime in the future?
Perhaps even keep those calculations in 2d, but "extruding" the gasclouds in the Z axis, no actual calculations on that axis but rather just so it looks like a 3d cloud, not a flat plane. Though obviously it'd look horrible if being viewed from the exact side =P

Possible? Impossible?

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Re: Future support for fluid dynamics?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:12:43 PM »
I like the game "Space".