Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to the Sandbox? Ask in here. (It's good for the search function)  (Read 5813 times)

Koliedrus

First of all, I'm really getting a kick out of this sim. After purchasing my license, I declined having anyone send me another set of 3D glasses since I'm overloaded with them. I may have to reverse that decision seeing as how my kids have begun taking over my comp, saying things like, "awesome", and generally getting their fingerprints all over everything. Gah!

I titled this post the way I did because I've been experiencing newb syndrome. Honestly, I searched for information about a particular issue but I didn't find it. That's not to say that it's not here. I'm just all excited about the thing and my thoughts tend to go on tangents when I have a cool new toy. Actually, I hate to call it a toy as much as those working on it hate to read it as being referenced as such.

The thing is, if people come in here (this thread) and ask questions about particular aspects of the software/interface, new people will be able to search for those terms and get results that will keep the mods and programmers free from repeating themselves.

For instance.

Mine, in particular, deals with an article I read where someone asked about Lagrange points. I'd watched the Sandbox simulation just hours before and recalled the "Movie" portion of the interface.

Yeah, I've been staying the #*(* away from there since pushing that button is the same as saying, "I wonder what this will do".

Well, I started the Lagrange sim, pushed the button, and then my wife asked me what she was doing wrong on the cheap little MP3 player I got for her at a discount. How do they learn how to distract you at just the right time? Pfft.

So now, I don't know where my recorded movie went. I'd like to direct such snapshots and videos to particular storage devices but I've just spent more time than I intended translating a translation of a manual that didn't help.

Now, we have "Movie" and "snapshot" in the searchable database. I suppose "screenshot" should be in there, too.

So, there you go. Ask questions. Don't be afraid to be verbose. It actually helps when you can describe stuff without feeling like you're trying to earn a grade.

Um. Where do the screenshots and movies go? How do I change their destination?

:)

Koliedrus

Re: New to the Sandbox? Ask in here. (It's good for the search function)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:24:29 PM »
And then I found this:

The log files can be found in:
My Documents\Universe Sandbox\Logs

The screenshots that you take can be found in:
My Documents\Universe Sandbox\Images

Yay!

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
Thanks for the great write up. i agree that being verbose when you ask a question can help others later when they are searching for an answer.

On the other hand... Every time someone asks about something or can't figure out how to do something it (most likely) means that there's a problem with the design and needs to be fixed.

So in order to address this specific issue:
I'll add some links to open up these folders from within Universe Sandbox.

Thanks for bring this issue to my attention.

Koliedrus

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
I wouldn't make the effort to express my astonishment had it not been for the initial mental investment.

Standing down.

(pppwpwwwwwweeeeeee!)

Ahem.

Kol