Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 4266 times)

Fredshirt

Hello!
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
Hello!

Before you hunt me down and suspend me in a non-Newtonian fluid, I did in fact use the search. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't find an "introductions" thread. However, being the egocentric, self-aggrandising maniac I am, I have the latent need to profile myself wherever I go, though.

As you may notice per my username, I'm indeed named Fred, and in anticipation of this being asked a lot, yes, my username is a rather silly play on words-cum-reference to Star Trek. Ah, Latin prepositions - horrible innuendo.

In any case, I'm 15 years old, I just got the trial version and will definitely be saving up for the full version. This program is awesome - and a feature suggestion came to mind: Surface temperature calculation. Anyway, I love this program a lot because I have always been fascinated with astrophysics. In fact, I am planning to study either computational physics or astrophysics at the University of Edinburgh later in my life.

For the moment, I am - rather unfortunately - stuck in this grim, unpleasant hellhole widely known as Germany, but oh well.

This looks like a rather nice community, I look forward to some fruitful intellectual exchange.

My, first the Latin prepositions, now that - I really can't get by sounding like I'm speaking in euphemisms, eh? :D

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
Fruitful intellectual exchange? You've come to the wrong place. The "Everything Else" board is mainly epic fail randomness... or at least it used to be. I think it's quite a lot better than it was 6 months ago. lol

Surface temperature calculation... That idea should be posted in the idea spreadsheet that is located here. You could for now just use the Effective temperature formula which I can't seem to remember right now, and manually calculate it, but yes it is a great idea.

Anyway, welcome.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:11:53 PM by NeutronStar »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »
Welcome to the forums. :)

And no, I'm not aware of any introduction thread. But I don't think we'll have to suspend you in a... Non-Newtonian fluid in any case. :P

Fruitful intellectual exchange? You've come to the wrong place. The "Everything Else" board is mainly epic fail randomness...
Except for me. :D Blue Jay>:(

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
OOBLEK!!!!!!!

Oh btw, if we're gonna make this this a welcome topic, I suppose we could talk a bit about ourselves as people who are already part of the forum :P

I am 14 and I'm interested in most sciences other than biology... and, I'm not really sure what to say about myself.

Edit: I'm planning to be a meteorologist
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:18:02 PM by NeutronStar »

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Welcome.

I'm am eleven years old, came from Asia, and interested into foreign cultures and most science topics. The community is great when it isn't out of hand.

Fredshirt

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »
Fruitful intellectual exchange? You've come to the wrong place. The "Everything Else" board is mainly epic fail randomness... or at least it used to be. I think it's quite a lot better than it was 6 months ago. lol
Anyway, welcome.

I wasn't meaning this subforum specifically :P ;)

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
I wasn't meaning this subforum specifically :P ;)
Trust me, the others are just as horrible. Ididn'tsayanythingatall
Uhh, do you want the topic to be a general welcome thread, then? If so, you/I can just change the title.

Fredshirt

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Hmm...maybe everyone should introduce themselves in a separate thread. I'm not familiar with this board's thread policy. Do you prefer many short threads, or few long threads? If the latter, this should become a generic thread, if the former, I think it might be a good idea to create a subforum dedicated to introductions.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
We don't really have thread policies, at least not strict ones. It depends on what you want it to be.

Fredshirt

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »
Then let's not make this a generic one, just in case people want to ask me questions or something. Yknow, what music I like, that kinda stuff.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 03:35:17 PM »
Ok.

What music do you like and that kinda stuff?

Fredshirt

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »
Oh dear God, why did I not see this coming ;D

I pretty much like all music, though I'm not too fond of techno, metal and rap/hiphop. It depends on the mood/situation really. If I feel good, generally jazz or something like that. If I feel epically awesome, classical music, usually Shostakovich, Mozart, Haydn or Vivaldi. When travelling and the weather is bad or gray, usually mellow, tranquil pop, rock and the like, when the weather is good, upbeat and more happy rock/pop.

i.e., I listen to pretty much anything that is melodious, varied and not vile on the eardrums :P

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 05:33:13 PM »
Hello, I am deoxy99 and I do not like telling you all of my PRIVATE information, but feel free to ask about me what isn't so private.

I'm from Arizona, United States and I'm 10 years old (which isn't so private, because you can't find me that way).

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »
hi, i heard you liek mudkipz and making galaxies go kaboom

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
This is full of so much win.

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
Not really.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »
*facepalm*

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
which part?
you don't really like mudkips or you dont really like making galaxies go kaboom?

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »
She doesn't like anyone. Rather like deoxy, except more mature, and religious.

hohonator

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »
im 12 and i like chocolate

hohonator

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
bump