Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem with dust outside of system  (Read 4775 times)

cprobertson1

Problem with dust outside of system
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
I've recently made a large system and early on it its life (its now about 1000 years old) it threw about 1000 dust particles in a massive disk which are currently slowly but surely heading off into the infinity.

Im wondering if its possible to delete ALL dust and/or objects outside a certain Radius from a given point?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Problem with dust outside of system
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
Ctrl+D will delete all dust. There's not way to selectively delete dust by area (although you can delete dust if it's associated with an object, like rings).

To delete objects, press Ctrl+A, then hold down "Ctrl" as you drag a box select around the objects you don't want to delete (to deselect them). Then press "Delete" on your keyboard to delete them.

cprobertson1

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »
Ah, that's what I though :P

Oh well xD

Looks like I'll have to delete the particles from the xml file manually using a parser-script (written in python because thats what I do xD) - was going to do that yesterday before I posted but figured I might as well see if there was an easier way xD

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
That would also work (although a bit complicated).

I'd love to see the final results. Post the ubox file here when you're done, if you'd like.

cprobertson1

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »
Alright, I give up; been trying to get this to work for ages but I keep getting formatting errors in the xml files I create with python and I can't be bothered figuring out how to use a new module =/

I'll put it in my list of secondary projects so it will get done eventually, I just cant say when xD

Will post up results once they're done xD

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
Sorry this is so complicated. Feel free to post the error messages here if you'd like some help figuring out what's going on.