Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2011 end of the world?  (Read 30697 times)

SuperNova

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: 2011 end of the world?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
Okay, 1: Pole migration will likely do nothing at all to us. Maybe our electronics, but Earth's magnetic field is quite weak. I'd worry about a solar flare more.

2: Elenin is your average comet that flies into the solar system and catches up with all the planets and exchange a few words, passes by the sun to acknowledge it's still orbiting it, and flies on its way. I don't know who chose Elenin for this doomsday thing, but at closest we'll be about .23 AU away from it. Not close at all. As you can see from this orbit: link I do believe we may get a meteor shower as Elenin passes through our orbit area, so the Earth will run into the material trailing Elenin. I'm not for sure though.

3: Double suns could just be a wobbly camera, and if that is a true picture there are plent of phenomenon that can cause false suns and other things at sun rise and sun set.

4: Be logical. There are two possible choices for anyone, and two possible outcomes. You can believe or you can choose not to, and it can be correct, and it can be not correct. If you choose to believe these stupid things that either have logical scientific explanations or no backing at all and then you and the group that came up with this is right... Well who cares. We're dead. If it turns out to be wrong, people will laugh at you/them. If you don't believe and they ARE right. Again who cares? We're dead. If you don't believe and they are wrong, then you were right to begin with. And you get the glory of laughing at them.

There's nothing at all to be scared of. And #4 isn't meant to be rude, someone told me that's what he told his cousin. And in all truthfulness, it makes sense and is true, so don't take any offense in it.

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
The 'second sun' is a usual phenomenon and usually results from cameras or from the sun itself.

"Magnetic north changes year to year. On topagraphical maps there is a Compass variation in degrees of variance for each year after the map was made that you have to take into consideration when using the maps compass.

That said, the poles WILL shift, its something that happens naturally and just because humans are around this time doesnt mean that its going to stop."

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
The 'second sun' is a usual phenomenon and usually results from cameras or from the sun itself.
I think you mean the atmosphere. :P

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »
Yeah.

hohonator

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
can someoe try to make a sim that shows what elenin will do when it reaches our solar system or whatever?w

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
It's part of our solar system...

This will suffice for a gravitational simulation since Elenin is at most about 3 km wide and probably average comet density. http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=Elenin&orb=1

global

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:27:31 AM »
Okay, 1: Pole migration will likely do nothing at all to us. Maybe our electronics, but Earth's magnetic field is quite weak. I'd worry about a solar flare more.

2: Elenin is your average comet that flies into the solar system and catches up with all the planets and exchange a few words, passes by the sun to acknowledge it's still orbiting it, and flies on its way. I don't know who chose Elenin for this doomsday thing, but at closest we'll be about .23 AU away from it. Not close at all. As you can see from this orbit: link I do believe we may get a meteor shower as Elenin passes through our orbit area, so the Earth will run into the material trailing Elenin. I'm not for sure though.

3: Double suns could just be a wobbly camera, and if that is a true picture there are plent of phenomenon that can cause false suns and other things at sun rise and sun set.

4: Be logical. There are two possible choices for anyone, and two possible outcomes. You can believe or you can choose not to, and it can be correct, and it can be not correct. If you choose to believe these stupid things that either have logical scientific explanations or no backing at all and then you and the group that came up with this is right... Well who cares. We're dead. If it turns out to be wrong, people will laugh at you/them. If you don't believe and they ARE right. Again who cares? We're dead. If you don't believe and they are wrong, then you were right to begin with. And you get the glory of laughing at them.

There's nothing at all to be scared of. And #4 isn't meant to be rude, someone told me that's what he told his cousin. And in all truthfulness, it makes sense and is true, so don't take any offense in it.

1. True
2. NASA has proven themselves wrong before, in fact it is continually proven in every scenario their calculations are always off.  Satellites end up millions of miles off course and NASA has said "they don't know why".  Even if this simulation rings true to calculations with given information, it's in their best interest to lie, they have the resources to save themselves, not the entire world.
3. lol
4. I'll say the same to you bud, be logical.  If you believe that fear of ridicule is reason enough to ignore the evidence and permit your own death, that's illogical, irrational, and probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard anyone say.  So far it seems you don't even have a sound perception of reality because evidently you think there's only two possibilities, you think nothing can be done, so death is inevitable, and that would prove you to be a nutjob.

Assuming we also suffer from psychosis, yes, nothing to be afraid of, because if we die we just go to heaven, right? LOL.  OH, you've acquired your information from someone that told this to their cousin, thats REALLY credible and logical simply because you said to be logical, right?  In all truthfulness, it makes sense AND it's true?  Wow, now you confirm that something is true with no evidence to support it?

Only the worst of fools would believe there is no danger, and only the worst of fools would believe nothing can be done.  Not to say people that work minimum wage jobs have much chance, but a million in the bank will likely permit survival if you prepare.  Elenin was said to be at a "standstill" some time ago when they claimed it had stopped, when something looks like its not moving at all, that means it's either headed directly for you or away from you.

SuperNova

• ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:24:47 AM »
Thank you all guys, except you, Global.

You just registered to come and tell that NASA is not telling the truth.
I googled for that "standstill" and that's not true, i couldn't find a thing about it.

Anyways, thanks for your support, guys.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:29:48 AM »
Thank you all guys, except you, Global.
This gave me a good laugh. Thanks. XD

Global, you're hilarious too. And for a real reply: By the 4th statement, I didn't intend death to be good or bad at all. Just as simple as non-existence. We couldn't do anything about it. So, who cares? And Elenin at a standstill? Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that there was one point where we were watching it where it slowed down and probably curved back the other way, and you are wrong about it being JUST coming towards us, or JUST away. Since this comet came from the outer solar system it is going much slower falling in towards the sun than the planets are moving, and almost every hyperbolic comet has a similar orbit. One, where while we're watching it, is just a bit under 180 degrees of it's orbit, so there's no surprise we saw it at some point coming towards us... Or maybe it wasn't coming towards us. It could have been at a standstill because the way it was moving and the way we were moving caused it to appear to slow down, just like Mars appears to track backwards for a time when we make a pass by it. It will be going forward, slow down, reverse course, speed up a bit, slow down, reverse again, and then go on it's way. Maybe something to a smaller effect was occurring for Elenin?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:43:26 AM by NeutronStar »

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »
2. NASA has proven themselves wrong before, in fact it is continually proven in every scenario their calculations are always off.  Satellites end up millions of miles off course and NASA has said "they don't know why".  Even if this simulation rings true to calculations with given information, it's in their best interest to lie, they have the resources to save themselves, not the entire world.

Can you provide a source for your claim that NASA has been proven wrong "in every scenario"?
If they were wrong "in every scenario" they wouldn't be able to land robots on other planets.

And which satellite ended up millions of miles off course for which they claimed "[we] don't know why"? Can you provide a source for this?

Fredshirt

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
Nota bene: The Earth shifts poles frequently. It happens every few decades or so, as far as I've heard. Unless I'm mistaken - which is very much possible. But I'm confident I heard somewhere that pole shifts on Earth are relatively common.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »
Shifts as in flipping north and south? I believe they do so at random times ranging from every few thousand years to millions of years.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
I had a dream where we all got in a boat (10 people) and sailed away To smother planet. And then from a cramera we saw it only made a 100 ft creter.

PS the boat was a gray minecraft boat that fit 10 people , and was the size of the Earh   ,.everyone else was gone . U r probably to cOnfused rIght noe, my dreams are very weird

Edit: don't ask how we pushed of

dhm794

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
The sky is falling.  Run to the hills.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
So what would be a failsafe bunker. A 300 meter thick wall of "insert ultrastrong material here". You could create a device that recycles water infinetely, powered from the sun and or hydrogen atoms in space. Keep in mind this device must be biological. Mechanical stuff breaks down. The idea is to make everything as simple as possible. You have a farm for unlimited food.

Any suggestions?

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
Go on the other side it is going to hit, and go in a deep mine or something . Bring as much resources as possible asap. Survival for the fittest!

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »
minecraft'olled

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
powered from the sun and or hydrogen atoms in space
Powered by neutrinos, then you could be kilometers underground and not have a problem with a power source. And since you're so far down anyway you could use geothermal heat, but neutrinos don't run out in several billion years.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '48922'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:52:22 AM by FiahOwl »

FiahOwl

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '48923'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:52:19 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
I just realized one problem with neutrinos and an energy source. Capturing them for any possible usage. They react with almost nothing, the occasional atom gets in their way and produces X-rays.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 04:09:27 AM »
We should make New Year the official "laugh at all the laughable claims of the world ending in the past year" day. :)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »
and move the New Year to the winter solstice? I agree.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »
I just realized one problem with neutrinos and an energy source. Capturing them for any possible usage. They react with almost nothing, the occasional atom gets in their way and produces X-rays.

hmm, interesting. maybe in the future, portable cookers will be made of ultradense material. you're stick your food in and watch the microwaves take care of the rest.

FiahOwl

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '48974'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:51:30 AM by FiahOwl »

smjjames

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »

hmm, interesting. maybe in the future, portable cookers will be made of ultradense material. you're stick your food in and watch the microwaves take care of the rest.

'superdense also means superheavy 0.o

Maybe only a very tiny amount needs to be ultradense? Only thing though is that how dense do you want to get? A spoonful (or sugar cube? I forget the exact analogy used) of white dwarf star (or neutron star? Again, I forget the exact analogy) material weighs as much as two jumbo jets. So even a microscopic amount could still weigh tens to hundreds of pounds, not exactly portable.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »
um, connect it with a wormhole to the nearest whitehole and to negate the effects of gravity. (anti-gravitons not included).

FiahOwl

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:19 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '49076'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:51:09 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
superdense also means superheavy 0.o
Compressed air.