Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Connecting Lines?  (Read 3414 times)

MartiusTiro

Connecting Lines?
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:14:20 AM »
Hello, forum.  Wonder if I can pick your brains, please..

Aside from the cable feature which I've been playing with this morning (and which is great fun, by the way), is there any facility - or any plan to include one - to connect several items together with lines just for illustrative purposes?  I'm planning out a storyline based in Yet Another Space Federation (or something similar), and would like to see if I can use Universe Sandbox to help me work out the political areas.  (I admit up front that I tried using Celestia for this, but found a) it doesn't react well to Windows 7, and b) it doesn't provide the feature I need.)

It's actually surprisingly difficult to find a way to do this: working out relative distances visually is quite tricky even on a rotatable 3D map.  The 'stars within 16 parsecs' scenario in Universe Sandbox gives me a fantastic map when paused, but the cable feature only lets me make one connection at once.

My apologies if I've missed something obvious; and if I haven't, could I offer this as a suggestion?  I imagine it could probably be made into something that sensible people could use, too: maybe with a feature to display selected data on the lines, such as distance, spectrum shifts, etc?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: Connecting Lines?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
ehh well, there is the an option to turn on lines that show a body's gravitational parent but otherwise, there is not atm
feel free to add this to the community suggestion list in the Ubox 2 general discussion area though!

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
Do you want the bodies to stay where they are when the simulation is running? You can lock the positions of specific bodies in the menu which opens when you click on them, in the same area which the coordinates are.
Then again, I think you also have to do that one by one.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
The cable feature is super experimental and only supports a single connection (and isn't saved when you save the simulation).

Sounds like you want to create political or other kinds of boundary lines? It's an interesting idea, and one I'll consider adding.