Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [bug] Planets with certain names reverse their own orbits  (Read 4988 times)

MastaDisasta

[bug] Planets with certain names reverse their own orbits
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
Apparently, if you name a planet (maybe any object) something that starts with the letter 'F', it will bug out your game. That object and possible other objects will reverse their orbits.

I have reproduced this bug several times. I name a planet something that starts with 'F' and it goes the wrong direction around the star. In the above image, Comet 01's predicted path is in light red, counterclockwise around my star. After I place a planet and change its name to start with 'F', its actual path is reversed (the dark red path) along with planet F*'s path. Both objects show a predicted path counterclockwise, but they actually travel clockwise.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: [bug] Planets with certain names reverse their own orbits
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
I believe when saving a system (but not naming an object) the keys you hit can have an effect basically what the keyboard shortcut is... (I don't think it does this anymore) Maybe something similar is happening here?

MastaDisasta

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:01 AM »
It happens at the exact time i change a planet's name, before I save a system at all.

I start a new system and place a start and a planet. Then I go to the name line of the planet and delete what's there. I put a single F and then the orbit is messed up. This happens every time. (Yes I know I can stop naming planets with F's but I would like to be able to name them whatever I want).

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
Wild. That's not supposed to happen.

For some reason it's turning on the Rotating Frame feature (which is buggy and incomplete).
(and only happens with a Shift+F)

I'll fix this in the next release.

In the meantime you can copy an 'F' to the clipboard and then use Ctrl+V to paste it in the name box.

Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing out the error.

MastaDisasta

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
Alright, thanks for the temporary solution, my universe felt so bare without an F planet.

Parfocal

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
I don't know how many times I've completely buggered a setup because I hit the F key somewhere in naming a star or planet or something, and then I can't ever get things back working like they're supposed to. I've deleted and restarted countless times once that funky camera thing happens; it's completely screwed after that.

Am I missing something?  >:(

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
the f key toggles the rotating camera apparently. Until then just paste the letter F from your clipboard if you want to use it or wait until dan fixes it in the next update.