Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drag 'n' Drop XML / UBOX problem  (Read 4351 times)

Teh_Saccade

Drag 'n' Drop XML / UBOX problem
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:33 AM »
Seem to be having some problems with dragging xml files to convert to ubox, even open them as a simulation, and converting the included ubox files to xml.

Using Win7 Pro x64, I have explorer open on one side, US2 on the other. Dragging a file into the US2 window does make it the active window, but the cursor remains a "no go" sign.
Similarly, the same thing happens when dragging an xml file into the "open in notepad" box on the same menu screen. As does it when trying the same with a ubox file.

Am I doing something wrong here?

The xml has system, body, object, name, mass, diameter, position, velocity, settings and action; all are closed.

Each time I start the programme, too, the simulation options (accuracy mode, show fps, background, multi cpu use, etc...) are all reset. Could it be a read-only error perhaps?

I am using the Steam version 2.1

Thanks!

[ed]
I also had to set the file association for ubox manually, as the programme didn't seem to do it successfully.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:26:36 AM by Teh_Saccade »

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: Drag 'n' Drop XML / UBOX problem
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:25 AM »
ubox is a .zip containing .xml files.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
That's strange. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working.

If you drag a ubox file anywhere into the Universe Sandbox window does it open?

The xml file should open in notepad regardless of its contents.

Please let me know if you're still having this problem.

Each time I start the programme, too, the simulation options (accuracy mode, show fps, background, multi cpu use, etc...) are all reset. Could it be a read-only error perhaps?

None of those options save across restarting Universe Sandbox by design. But I can see how you would want some of them to save. I'll think about that.

I also had to set the file association for ubox manually, as the programme didn't seem to do it successfully.

I've seen this problem in person and will try and work out the problem to prevent it happening in the future.

Teh_Saccade

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:54:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Dan Dixon - I'll take some screenshots and/or make a vid so you can see what happens.
At the moment, anything dragged into the US2 window, UBOX, XML or otherwise, just changes into a circle with a line through it - no entry sign.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
Does drag and drop work in other applications?

Universe Sandbox isn't showing the 'no entry' icon, as any file can be dropped into it (but once dropped, if it's not the right extension, the file is skipped).

Perhaps the icon should indicated rejection for files of the wrong type, but currently it only checks the file type after it's dropped. Either way... I wonder if this is caused by some other application or setting. Are you running the Logitech SetPoint application? Try closing that (for example) and try again.

Teh_Saccade

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:38:24 AM »
errr...

I haven't been able to record this, as FRAPS only tapes what's going on inside the game window; I'm gonna need some free desktop vid capture software if anyone can recommend some?

Only way I know how to record what goes on in a desktop is using scripts/macros and that wouldn't work here :/

Still refuses to do anything, displaying the "no go" sign/cursor when attempted.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »
Do you have a point and shoot camera with a video mode? Just point at the screen and take a video. That will be good enough.