Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Start Up Problem, with error log  (Read 23328 times)

usbjohn

Start Up Problem, with error log
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
Hi.

I cannot seem to get either the trial version or the Steam version of USB to run.  I've tried all of the tips listed in the stickied thread, including making sure Windows (7, 64bit) and video drivers (dual ATI Radeon 5900) are updated.  Tried the .Net verify, uninstall and reinstall, etc.  Nothing works.  So I went to the Event Viewer and found a few errors.  Maybe these can help you to diagnose the problem.  I do not have a \My Documents\... file for USB - it appears to not run long enough to create one.

Any help greatly appreciated.

In chronological order in which they appear in the log:

Error: Application: Universe Sandbox.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
Stack:
   at NNKOAPOABOACJENPEJKGLHPMJFJLMLPPGIDP.EBCNNFAKOBIMDDKGJBDDMENBGJFKNMHAPMAO.JMCCOOPHNCFNEHPADILOIKGCFNHNAEBKLCAJ()

Error: Faulting application name: Universe Sandbox.exe, version: 2.1.2.0, time stamp: 0x4dc48572
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7bafa
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000b727
Faulting process id: 0x5da4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc18b5053463f9
Faulting application path: K:\Program Files\Universe Sandbox\Universe Sandbox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 42eb37d8-84a8-11e0-aba3-a4badb01d4cc

Information: Fault bucket 2436286265, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Universe Sandbox.exe
P2: 2.1.2.0
P3: 4dc48572
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 6.1.7601.17514
P6: 4ce7bafa
P7: e0434352
P8: 0000b727
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER11FB.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Universe Sandbox_9069696f39a1339532d2cd58431fdc7ca99ab80_5f3929a0

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 42eb37d8-84a8-11e0-aba3-a4badb01d4cc
Report Status: 0

[FYI - the log files listed in this message do not exist on my system anywhere, for some reason]

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Start Up Problem, with error log
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
Yeah... this is a .NET configuration issue as far as I can tell.

(and no logs because Universe Sandbox had to start running before the logs can be created)

Have you made sure that you have all the latest Windows updates?

usbjohn

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
There were no updates available when I checked just now (I think my machine applied things overnight last night).

I used the dotnet removal tool to clean .Net4 out, rebooted and reinstalled, but am having the same problem.

I have access to another computer with a very similar configuration that I'm going to try it on come Friday.  The only appreciable difference is the video cards in that one, which are NVidia.  Otherwise, they have essentially identical software installed on them.  I'll see if it works on that machine and report back I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Slyder73

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
I am also having a .net issue (not sure how to do any type of log file).  Not able to run the game at all.  I've posted in a thread here as well as on Steam and have tried every suggestion with no effect.  I've also uninstalled .net and reinstalled.
I have Windows 7 home premium, all updated, nVidia GTX 260 video card, intel i7 chip.

Hope someone finds a solution.

usbjohn

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
So I tried my other PC today with exactly the same results.  This is pretty irritating. 

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
Have you gone into the Prerequisite folder in Universe Sandbox and rerun the two vcredist files found here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\universe sandbox\Prerequisites

Some users of another recent game on Steam are having the same issue:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/cant-get-terraria-to-launch.24495/
There they suggest reinstalling XNA, which works for one but not all. Universe Sandbox doesn't use XNA, so that's not going to work.

usbjohn

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
I have tried running those two vcredist files.  They successfully "repair" the installation, but I still get the same results.

I might try a fresh install of Windows on one of the machines in a few weeks when i'm on vacation and see if that helps at all.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
So I tried my other PC today with exactly the same results.  This is pretty irritating.  

That's really surprising that you got the same result on a 2nd computer (as there have only been 2 people to report this issue). I wonder if this is some kind of incompatibility between some software (like a virus checker) that you're running on both machines.

What software/applications are you running on both machines?

This thread has comments about this same problem:
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php?topic=3799.0

TARehman

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »
For what it's worth, I got it to install and function fine on my laptop, which is XP Pro SP3 32-bit.  It's only in Vista that crashes for mine.

usbjohn

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »
So I tried my other PC today with exactly the same results.  This is pretty irritating.  

That's really surprising that you got the same result on a 2nd computer (as there have only been 2 people to report this issue). I wonder if this is some kind of incompatibility between some software (like a virus checker) that you're running on both machines.

What software/applications are you running on both machines?

This thread has comments about this same problem:
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php?topic=3799.0

They're both Win 7 Professional 64-bit.  One's using NVidia, the other ATI Radeon cards.  They both use the free Microsoft Security Essentials AV.  Of course I've disabled this during several attempts at various solutions, to no avail.  The NVidia machine runs an FTP host, the other one (my main PC) does not.  It runs nothing special at all.

I've tried disabling all of the junk that runs in the system tray (mostly Logitech LCD drivers and keyboard utilities), without any luck.  I'm stumped, but will keep picking at it to see what turns up.

TARehman

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »
FYI, I had to reinstall Windows for an unrelated reason, and I'm up and running now...and it's great!  Thanks!

usbjohn

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »
FYI, I had to reinstall Windows for an unrelated reason, and I'm up and running now...and it's great!  Thanks!

Glad to hear it!

I was really hoping to avoid that, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and reinstall.

/sad

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »
I was really hoping to avoid that, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and reinstall.

I am very confident that this will solve your problem. Please post again with the results.

usbjohn

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »

I am very confident that this will solve your problem. Please post again with the results.

So after many months, I finally got around to reinstalling my Windows 7.  First, I tried to sneak in a quick in-place upgrade, saving most of my applications, but I had exactly the same .Net4 problems with the new install.  So, I blew it away the other day and reinstalled from scratch.  Everything works as expected now.  Another program I was having inexplicable trouble with, the Amazon Unbox app, now works perfectly too.

USB is a fascinating and well-conceived program.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »
Glad to hear it's working now.

The next major update will no longer require .NET 4 and everyone will be free of these annoying installation problems.

devilquak

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 12:49:40 AM »
Hello. Sorry to bother you, but I seem to be having this problem as well. I just bought the game through steam, since I've had my eye on it for a while and I love astrology. I took the plunge while it was on sale, and was getting really exited to make the earth fly into the sun. But as soon as I started the game up, I got an error message, with the crash log of:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'NNKOAPOABOACJENPEJKGLHPMJFJLMLPPGIDP.DFBAMFMMDHHNEDDIAGOOKDLJBLBDDPIIEEEC' threw an exception. ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'MTV3D65.dll' or one of its dependencies.  is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
   at NNKOAPOABOACJENPEJKGLHPMJFJLMLPPGIDP.DFBAMFMMDHHNEDDIAGOOKDLJBLBDDPIIEEEC..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at NNKOAPOABOACJENPEJKGLHPMJFJLMLPPGIDP.EBCNNFAKOBIMDDKGJBDDMENBGJFKNMHAPMAO.FGKIHOPHNAFFPEEAKMONKJFEHMILMBPEEELN(Object , EventArgs )
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Universe Sandbox
    Assembly Version: 2.1.5.900
    Win32 Version: 2.1.5.900
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/universe%20sandbox/Universe%20Sandbox.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
AutomaticUpdater
    Assembly Version: 2.6.11.2
    Win32 Version: 2.6.11.2
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/universe%20sandbox/AutomaticUpdater.DLL
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
facddc56-eb6e-4d23-9dd4-f42caf9b37fe
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.1.5.900
    CodeBase: file:///c:/program%20files%20(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/universe%20sandbox/Universe%20Sandbox.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

It gives me 2 options, Continue, or Quit. Continuing does nothing, as the little spinning circle with the name of "Form 1" keeps going forever, and Quit... well... quits. I've tried everything the OP mentioned, and nothing seems to work. I'd prefer fixing it now, instead of waiting for the next major update (lol), if that's even possible. But if there's nothing I can do to help the problem, then all I can say is for Dan to take his time and not feel rushed. This seems like a fantastic simluator, and I'd like to enjoy a working version :D.

ETHOB121

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
Dan your game looks really cool but I would really appreciate  if you removed any .NET Framework requirements so that I can actually play it, I bought this yesterday and it's driving me insane !  :'(