Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding models questions  (Read 10323 times)

Puddin

Adding models questions
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
So I'm trying to add my Homeworld 2 fleet but I am having issues.  I will just list out any questions and issues in hopes someone will know.

1)  I added a Dice and tried to change the model to one of the ships but it opens an explorer box rather than an import/open box.  Is this normal?  I also tried to type it in manually to no avail as well.  I add my models the the proper directory but that's about as far as I got.

2)  I am trying to add the ships in the .3ds format with 3dsmax 2010. Is this the same version you use?  If not I may have to write (or hopefully find) an exporter for the older (or newer) format.

3) Are there anyway to import height maps or specular maps of any kind?

4) Are we able to add more than one texture in the GUI?  If not could you point me in the right direction to script it in?

5) If I make model packs do I have permission to make an exe to install them to the directories for the game (mainly a question for Dan), and upload them here?

6) Is there any way to script in other operating parameters?  For instance I have a few old textbooks that I can pull some thermal expansion equations from. (looks like you have your Newtonian math down:). )   Can think of a few simulations where the effects of heat would make just as much difference as gravity.

Thanks is advance guys

Edit: Also I am using .PNG for the texture format in the same folder as the model
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:48:44 PM by Puddin »

Puddin

Re: Adding models questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
Ok so I was finally able to get the model to import.  I have to just use the .X file format and it loaded right in.  Another problem I'm having is that the model seems to be infinitely huge.  i can keep zooming out forever and the FOV of the model never really changes.

Another thing I am trying to do is add the model to have it selectable from the menu.  I have created a 64x64 .DDS icon for it and stuck it in the icons folder. Then in the EarthObjects file I added an entry for the file under id 10

- <Object>
  <ID>10</ID>
  <Name>Balcor Gate</Name>
  <Diameter>4 km</Diameter>
  <Type>Object</Type>
  <Mass>1200 kg</Mass>
  </Object>

(I know the mass is wrong for this ship but just testing for now)

I can't however file the file that references those ID's

Puddin

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »
I have now gotten the ships in there and still messing around with the textures
Here is a pic so far:

It's coming along although I have yet to still figure out how to have it selectable from the menu

Puddin

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »
Ok now i have the textures fixed as you can see with the Space Shuttle: Atlantis I threw in there

Now I still need to work on putting them in the menu.  The ability to add more than one texture would be nice but haven't gotten that far yet.

shadowhunter388

• "United We Stand. Divided We Fall."
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
Hi, I have a question, Where do you get your models from and how do you do this? Do you use blender?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »
1)  I added a Dice and tried to change the model to one of the ships but it opens an explorer box rather than an import/open box.  Is this normal?  I also tried to type it in manually to no avail as well.  I add my models the the proper directory but that's about as far as I got.

Yes this is normal, but perhaps it should be changed.
The folder icon opens an explorer window where you need to put the models and textures.

2)  I am trying to add the ships in the .3ds format with 3dsmax 2010. Is this the same version you use?  If not I may have to write (or hopefully find) an exporter for the older (or newer) format.

I haven't tested .3ds from 3dsmax 2010. So I'm not sure if it will work. Older version of this format will work however.

3) Are there anyway to import height maps or specular maps of any kind?

Not yet.

4) Are we able to add more than one texture in the GUI?  If not could you point m
e in the right direction to script it in?

Currently there's no way to associate more than one texture with a model, unless the model itself has this info in it, but that may be overridden. I've never tested that.

5) If I make model packs do I have permission to make an exe to install them to the directories for the game (mainly a question for Dan), and upload them here?

Just put the models in the Documents\Universe Sandbox\Media folder. There shouldn't be any reason to copy them into the installation folder.

6) Is there any way to script in other operating parameters?  For instance I have a few old textbooks that I can pull some thermal expansion equations from. (looks like you have your Newtonian math down:). )   Can think of a few simulations where the effects of heat would make just as much difference as gravity.

There's no way to add features that like that via scripting at the moment.

Edit: Also I am using .PNG for the texture format in the same folder as the model

This should work fine.

Another problem I'm having is that the model seems to be infinitely huge.  i can keep zooming out forever and the FOV of the model never really changes.

The model should be scaled down to 1 unit in the 3D editor (or maybe -1 to 1, I can't remember) before being exported to .3ds or .x. Then you can set the size of the model with the 'Diameter' property in Universe Sandbox.

Another thing I am trying to do is add the model to have it selectable from the menu.  I have created a 64x64 .DDS icon for it and stuck it in the icons folder.

There's currently no way to do this.

Then in the EarthObjects file I added an entry for the file under id 10...
I can't however file the file that references those ID's

Those IDs are not used by anything.

Let me know if you need more help.